Removable or permanent casters? Why or why not?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Permanenet

15 vote(s)
  2. Removable

105 vote(s)
  1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I am getting my first amp cabinet next month and will either put permanent Ernie Ball casters or the removable kind. Why should I do one or the other - does it affect the sound of the amp to be on the ground enough to warrant the removable kind?
  2. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I forgot to mention that the cabinet I'll be buying is bottom slot ported so part of the sleeves that removable amp casters will be up into the port area - does that matter?
  3. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    No it doesn't matter if they stick into the port a bit.

If your casters are permanent, and you want the cab to couple w/ the floor, you just put it on its side. The argument against permanent casters is that they will rattle when you are floor-coupling and they are on the side, but I've never had a problem with this. Bottom line, I like all casters, permanent or not.
  4. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    removable - casters wear out- until you replace them with really good ones.
  5. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    i'll vote removable.

1 reason is because what if you wanted to fit your cab into a trunk or somethin like that and the casters were in the way? You would say "shoulda got removables"...

I have a set for my Ernie Ball 212 cabinet.
  6. konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    permanent casters are great because you can take em off to fit inside the truck of my car. At least for me, they are convient for that reason. Plus, if you do need to replace them, you dont need to get the new brackets, just the wheels.

When it comes down to it, they do the same thing.
  7. playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    You mean removable?
  8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I say removable unless they are the kind that you tilt the cab back onto.
  9. I voted for... permanent. The major reason being I have 1 cabinet with removable and they have an annoying habit of slipping part-way out if they momentarily lose contact with the ground. I don't know if this is a common problem or not.

Also, re: the "removable are better because you just have to replace the wheels & not the brackets" comments... you'd have to look at the options in your area, but here I wouldn't be able to just purchase the "wheels"... without also purchasing the brackets they fit into.

FWIW I have never encountered the situation with my permanent castor equipped cabs where the car door/trunk etc would close... if it wasn’t for those :spit: castors. I'm sure it has happened to some unlucky person though...
  10. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Removable = easily replaceable.

Your mileage may vary.
  11. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    The removable casters on my mesa cab have not had any issues of falling off or failing. They kinda slide into a mounting plate with a spring loaded button to hold em in. They seem super heavy duty, and it is convenient to remove them when piling my rig into my Volkswagen. So.. I vote high quality removeable casters!
  12. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I had planned to install the removable type because of easy replacement action and the convenience of removing them to fit into the car, but I just wanted to see what others thought. It seems like most of you thought like I did (or maybe I thought like you since there are more of you than there is of me!). Thanks folks!
  13. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    When I removable, they were either hard to remove or removed themselves while moving the cab off a curb or stairs.

The ones that screw on the bottom are easier to install. After the purchase popouts require removing a speaker and cleaning out the sawdust from drilling the hole, too.

I bet the kind that slide out on a plate would be best of both worlds. And of course the ones that screw on the bottom can be unscrewed and a new one put on in the same spot...they're not really permanent, just "fixed."

FWIW, I've enjoyed have a cab on wheels that's not coupled...sometimes there's phase cancellation from the space below or a really boomy note from really good coupling.
  14. The Ernie Ball removable casters rule. They've been on my cabs for many years, I have had to replace 2 of them. The wheels split. They more than likely would have split if they were "permanent" ones anyway. I bought another set to have 4 replacements. It's not like they're particularly expensive.

The issue with the "permanent" ones is that the force of hitting cracks in the sidewalk or whatever you jar the wheels on goes directly to the 4 screws holding the caster in. Over time the screws pull out of the wood and you have to rotate the base of the caster and redrill to get a fresh "bite" into the wood. Once that caster has been rotated again and again the wood around the caster is a series of screw holes.

The removable caster transfers the force to the housing which is dissipated between the "female" end into the cabinet as well as the screws holding the housing in.
  15. Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
    That's why I didn't use wood screws for the permanent casters under my Trace cab. Pulled the speaker out, drilled holes through the wood and installed the casters using bolts and nuts (the locking kind, so they don't accidentaly come loose anyway).

BTW at the time I didn't know there was such a thing as "ground coupling", but this cab is big enough to still sound good, with or without ground coupling. In fact, I hardly use it anymore because it is so huge it doesn't fit in the trunk of my car :cool:
  16. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Ground coupling - is that when the bottom of the cab rests on the ground? If that's so then you'd either need to have removeable casters or lay the cab on it's side, right?
  17. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    There's a third choice: a dolly. My old B15N has a dolly attached to the bottom of the cab with a big-knob screw. And my Hartke 410XL sits on a Carvin dolly. Best of both worlds. The wheels are there when it's moving, and not when it's not.
  18. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    And where would I acquire such a dolly?
  19. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    You can build one easily enough out of 1x3s, a piece of plywood, and some casters for about $10 or $15 total. They also sell pre-built ones at Job Lot-type places-I'd imagine Home Depot would sell them as well.

The one reason I decided not to put casters on my 4x10 is that, when rolling your cab around, if you hit a curb with your casters, or otherwise have them stop quickly while the cab is still carrying momentum, you could crack or break the wood on the bottom of your cab where the casters are connected.