Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Removal of "negative" smilies

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Marlat, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Okay this has been something that has bugged me for a while. IMO the following three smilies have and can never be used in a positive way that is respectful and consistent with the rules of TB:

:rollno:

:rolleyes:

:meh:

What are people's thoughts on this?

I know a few users may be thoroughily disapointed that their favourite tools of disaproval are under attack, but I havn't ever seen those used in a positive way that reflects the "spirit" of TB's rules.

$0.02

2. But if a very simple cartoon of someone rolling their eyes offends someone, all I can say is :rolleyes: (said w/utmost cartoon respect).

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Aussie or USA?

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK

:D

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Its not the image that is offensive - i'm surprised you would take such a simplistic view of my comments - its the use of the image when quoting people's comments that is not showing people respect.

For example:

That is not being respectful of an opinion. Seriously, why do we have these smilies?

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    This is a remarkably PC concept to come from an Australian!

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Yeah, get rid of them... make us resort to this...

[​IMG]

:eyebrow:

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  10. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Right that does it....

[​IMG]

Seriously though, I still have yet to see any argumetns as to why those smilies "benefit" the TB community.

11. After reading this, I challenge you NOT to feel compelled to use 'rolleyes'- are you ready?

I like Celine Dion. NOT her bass player, or even her drummer. Ce-line. And I'm serious. Dead serious.

That's why.

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I didn't consider the hmmm... smiley to be negative. Heck, this smiley :hyper: could be taken as jubilation or accusing one of having a hissy-fit. What about this one :oops: ?

Every discussion doesn't benefit the TB community... why should every smiley, especially being held to a single interpretation?

:bag:

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    My way would force someone to do some work in order to be offended;)

14. :rollno: :rolleyes: :meh: :bag: :p

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree - I just think of it as the equivalent of what we know in Britain as the "Gallic Shrug" ...or as "bemused" ....:meh:

The rolling eyes smiles are essential for political debate or for lamenting the state of the world today - for "Grumpy Old Men"!!! ;)

[​IMG]

As in :

"Look at what Bush/Blair has said/done now!! :rollno:"

"Look at the state of "xxxxxxxx" now, it was never like that in my day!! :scowl: "

16. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    You guys are probably right. I mean if anyone would know how to use the :meh: smilie in a way that was not disrespectful it would be Brad and Bruce ;)

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
  18. Indeed ............. the guys who put the Grrrrrrrrrrr in grumpy :)

19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't think there's anything wrong with a general disaffection for the state of the world...:rollno: - to me, that's just an indication of sanity!! ;)

20. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I love those smilies. They're perhaps not worth the full thousand words of proverbial wisdom but there are plenty of situations where they are decidedly appropriate:

:rollno: = ... based on what you've told us, I think it's all going to end in tears...

:rolleyes: = ... what did I tell you? It's all ended in tears...

:meh: = ... this new situation sounds like the one we looked at a couple of icons ago...

And, not forgetting:

:scowl: ... nope, I don't even want to waste time commenting on the situation again. Do a search... ;)

Wulf