Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Remove Classifieds from New Posts?

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Bruce Lindfield, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Can I ask or suggest that Classifieds be removed from "New Posts Since Last Log-In".

So - when you have limited time and use this feature to find conversations that you were involved in - it is really irritating to find the list dominated by Classifieds 'bumped' by their creators more than a dozen times!! :mad:

The alternative is to ban 'bumping' your own classifieds - which may be a better solution, but will presumably create work for mods or admin?

If Classifieds didn't appear on any "New Posts" lists then there would be no incentive for people to bump their ads.

I mean we have enough ads around bombarding us and flashing (and I understand that they are necessary to maintain the site) at us - do we really have to have the members forcing their personal ads at us, as well?

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Bruce, bumping allows the post to stay on the first page of their respective forum - the fact they show up on the "new since" search is secondary.

And I like seeing the FS posts! How else am I going to go broke? :D

3. Bruce Lindfield

But is that legitimate? Why should people be alowed to bump their post to the top over a newer ad?

And isn't this a waste of bandwidth or whatever - it adds nothing to the original ad and is basically a pointless post!!

Surely we should be discouraging this and ads should stay in the order in which they were originally posted and not allow a "war of bumping" to get yours to the top!!

That strikes me as either unfair - to people who are new and don't realise what's going on, or just leads to gazumping - why does anybody want to read a post that says nothing but "bump" !!?? :rolleyes:

It is an abuse of the privilege given by Paul to advertise.....

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Well that was just an example - I want to look for intersting new debates as well!!

I just don't want a page of 'bumped' classified!! :mad:

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Not for me - I've not bought or sold anything on the site so far. I'm in it to learn more about music and to share what I've learnt already.

However, I don't recall noticing more than one or two classfieds coming up when I check for new posts. I rarely visit the 'for sale' section anyway so couldn't comment on how many of those I see are mere 'bumps', but I don't find it a problem ignoring them and going on to the next page.

Wulf

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I disagree with Juicy Minefield.

I think classifieds are fair game. the "new since last login" link is the way I find new posts about 70% of the time; the other 25% is using the search; the last 5% is waiting for Smash to post an article about something, than going back to the search feature :D ;)

just because i'm not looking for something doesn't mean I won't buy something I don't need.

maybe Bruce should start selling stuff on the classifieds? :eek: :D ;)

8. Bruce Lindfield

But that doesn't mean that's what it's meant to be - surely it would be called "SellBass" rather than TalkBass !! ;)

I suppose I have the advantage of having seen how it started on several previous versions of the board, when it was much fewer people - mainly Double Bass players and there was very little gear discussion.

The BG players have subverted its original purpose!! I am as guilty as anybody in this!! :meh:

9. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    There's certainly a lot about gear - so we've not only got a classifieds section but also basses, amps, strings, etc...

However, a good proportion of that discussion is about making best use of what you've got. It's a site about playing bass, and discussions about gear (buying, selling and using) probably takes up a disproportionate amount of space.

However I still find it a rich enough resource to keep me coming back even though I wouldn't get a look in if there was a listing of dedicated gearheads ;)

Back to the theme, I've just had a look at the 'New since last login' page and there are three 'for sale' items, one of which will be pushed off as soon as I push the 'submit' button. That doesn't look like a problem to me....

Wulf

10. Bruce Lindfield

I suppose what I mean is that it seems that people are abusing the Classifieds by bumping dozens of times - why should something with nothing new in it, get pushed to the top - just to try to promote what one person wants to sell?

It's sort of a moral question really - should people be allowed to push their adverts in our face - when they might not even be supporting the site!!??

If I wanted to look for used basses - then I know where to go - but I resent people bumping their ads and pushing it in our faces!!

11. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Yes - the bumping does strike me as bad mannered... although if I were in the market for some used gear, I'd be very wary about dealing with somebody who agitated so much to get rid of it - even if it's all above board, it would suggest lots of potential hassles getting the deal done to the satisfaction of both parties.

Wulf

12. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    sounds like a severe pet peeve to me. sounds like something that's being focused on big time. i rarely if ever notice the gear for sale posts when i click "new in past 24 hrs" cuz they mean nothing to me. i'm not buying anything, i'm not focused on it, i scroll past it. doesn't even register. if they bugged me on the other hand, i'm sure i'd notice every single one of them and probably start a thread like this.

they don't bother me at all - i think it's kind of good actually that people that DO want to buy or sell things get a chance to see things they may have missed.

sometimes when i'm in a quiet classroom i'll hear a siren, jackhammer, or other lame noise outside in the distant background. it will drive me insane while no-one else even notices it. i then feel compelled to tell the entire class that it's driving me nuts so we can all go crazy together. :)

13. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    you actually got me there - for about 3 seconds.

i can't even go to that post anymore. i applied again at musician's friend for credit. denied. :bawl:

14. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yup, I do the same.

I guess how much they annoy you depends on what route you access the site. I don't use the 'New Posts' list, just go into each individual forum I tend to follow and see the updated/new threads in there. So I don't see the 'bumps' unless I go into a 'For Sale' thread that's been bumped. And if I go into it, it means I'm interested to read what's in there...

15. Bruce Lindfield

It did irritate me briefly when I found a lot of these - but as I have thought about it more, it is now the principle of the thing!

So basically, people are getting this facility free out of TB.... and then to keep bumping the post to the top, is abusing the privilege!!

It's not something that you can take part in as a discussion or add anything - give the benefit of your experience etc. If you're not looking to buy then you're not looking to buy - so it feels very rude that people insist on constantly pushing it in front of your face.

I feel it betrays a lack of respect for other forum users and also to Paul, who has provided this facility, which is being abused!

16. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'd be interested to hear Paul's thoughts on this.

Nobody else posting in this thread has said it bothers them. That doesn't mean your opinion isn't valid, but if Paul isn't bothered and noone else is then I'm not sure there is a problem.

I do see your point about supporting vs non-supporting members, but again that's Pauls call to make.

17. Bruce Lindfield

Well - you are assuming they are a supporter - but this is not necessarily the case!!!:meh:

Also - the ads are quite distinct from the forum content and can be easily ignored - but classifieds get mixed up with the New Post Since last Log In and make it harder to find what you want.

To me - forums are about taking part and interacting - but classifieds are just there and should stay where they were put - not be bumped endlessly, just to shove them "in yer face" - that to me is rude and shows a disregard for people who are looking to actually TalkBass!!

18. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    was looking to buy a pre for my bender slazz. i wanted a great pre, but it wasn't a priority to buy one. like bruce, i use the "new since last login" button to see what's new. for a while i was seeing smash trying to sell is 2 band john east pre. it was starting to look good and then i decided to hold on. i would occasionally notice that smash would bump every so often (maybe once or twice every two to three weeks). he wouldn't do it often.

then all of a sudden, david is selling his aggie 3 band - new, never wired. did i really need it right then and there? NO! i have enough toys, but for his price (and seemed like a really nice guy) i just had to do it. so i paypal'ed him the bread and i got the butter a few days later. he even designed a wiring chart for me, because aggie didn't have what i need on the website.

in getting to an actual point of this post, i wouldn't of known if either of my TB brothers were selling anything if the classifieds were excluded from our favorite feature.

not to be a total di*k, if you don't like what's on the station of the tv, change the channel (put it on the bass channel).

19. Bruce Lindfield

Yes you would - you could go and look in the Classified's section!!

Paul has a suggestion box - presumably so people make suggestions - not so they go and look at other bass sites....:meh:

20. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I think better than removing Classifieds from the New Since last login, a better solution would be to have in your options (as a Supporting Member, of course) the ability to pick and choose which of the different Forums it searches for "NSLL."

Don't want to see Off Topic? Unclick the box!
    Don't want to see Classifieds? Unclick the box!

To remove classifieds in general isn't the answer. I like the classifieds being there.

As for the "bump" complaint, you only know that they are bumping if you open the thread. And, if you aren't looking for what they're selling-why are you opening the thread? To verify something to complain about?

I understand why Bruce doesn't want to have to wade through people's online garage sales to get to threads about the correct use of a clave, but the same could be said about the requests for "I nEdz me some TABZ!!11!! R0X0R!"

Bottom line--Classifieds are just as valid as any other forum on Talkbass. I've gotten some great deals on TB that I wouldn't have thought to look for, otherwise. It's no tougher to ignore a For Sale ad as it is to ignore a TaBz thread, or a "Why Republicans are better cooks than Democrats" thread in the Lobby.*

*Everyone knows this is a lie.