Remove dead users

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by silent method, Jun 1, 2005.

1. I dont know how much bandwidth it takes up but why not look at deleting the accounts of people that havent been active in over a year? there seems to be a lot of dead accounts.
  2. NOISE!

Jun 20, 2004
    In your mind
    As long as your e-mail is given out to all the the ones that come back to find that their account was deleted, to tell them it was your idea, so they know who to spam.
  3. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Well, it really doesn't consume any resources to keep the 'dead users' in the database. The space used is next to nil, and no bandwidth or server resources are consumed. I did clean out 2-year old inactive users a while back, and regret it - it does the site good to be able to promote itself via a high "total # users registered stat"... ;)
  4. I think its a little tacky to remove dead users. I think you should send flowers instead.

5. lol why would you bump this thread, its so old and already delt with
  6. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
  7. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    So did you. But I guess you didn;t ask the question.
  8. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    i recommend chrysantimums
  9. I was inactive for a long while, but I came back. For me, which forum I visit most depends on where my musical questions lie at the time. And some of the guys have passed away and there were posts notifying us. I don't know how that should be handled.
  10. Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    Exactly. If the accounts all had logins and passwords associated w/ them, I'd be concerned for security reasons, but with this type of access it is 'no harm, no foul'.

And for what it's worth, this site is VERY well run. I know from personal experience that you never hear feedback as an admin except negative, so this is just my place to say "thanks" to Paul for all the work that he does in the background (i.e. user accounts, marketing, system/database admin, setting up backups, etc.). Talkbass has been the place where I have learned the most in the last 2 years of playing my bass...
  11. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Perhaps there should be a rule- if you pass away, please email Paul so that he can add you to the "Expired Users" list...?
  12. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I'm feeling better...I think I'll walk 'ome now...:D
  13. Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    Oh, quit your whining. You'll be dead before you know it! :)