1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Remove finish for vintage feel

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 77stingray77, Jan 12, 2018.

1. 77stingray77

77stingray77

Mar 27, 2017
    I have a steve Harris p neck and I want to remove the finish to make it a slicker and vintage feel

Any tips on how i can do this

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Before you do that, try just scrubbing the neck with a dry used green kitchen scrubbie. You may be surprised.

Zooberwerx likes this.
  3. 77stingray77

77stingray77

Mar 27, 2017
    Well its also on a roadworn body so i figured it would look good too if it matched

4. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    It's not a good idea to leave maple with no finish at all. Even the "unfinished" ones have a sealer on it and often a polymerized oil or matt poly. Unfinished maple is reactive to airborne moisture and its stability is compromised if there is no finish.

5. byacey

byacey

May 16, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    On one of my basses I took some fine steel wool, 000 or 00 if I recall correctly, and just took the sheen off the neck finish without cutting through to the bare wood.
    It made all the difference for playing.

6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I wait for my wife to break 'em in at the kitchen sink before swiping for my workbench. ScotchBrite pads work better with some embedded french toast remnants.

This is a great way to satinize a neck without fear of removing too much material. Caveat: the neck will gloss-over with hand contact & use. Not to worry as the process can be repeated to knock-down the sheen.

Riis

Matt Liebenau likes this.
  7. Makes your bass smell like breakfast to.:D A little bacon grease on the strings and you’re all set!

Zooberwerx and sissy kathy like this.
  8. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Fried Spam...I'm not kidding.

Riis

9. 77stingray77

77stingray77

Mar 27, 2017
    So 0000 can work

10. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yes but steel wool leaves fragments. It's a pain but I'd remove the neck.

Riis

11. 77stingray77

77stingray77

Mar 27, 2017
    Is it removing the finish or just scratching it

12. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    It's removing the finish by scratching it if that makes sense. #0000 has a super-fine cut and will not gouge the finish if used judiciously. I've used it instead of ScotchBrite pads to minimize blems on the backside of the neck. Simple de-glossing, I'd stick with green pads.

Riis

13. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Tip - if you use steel wool anywhere on an electric instrument, put masking tape over the pickup poles first, then vac or blow out steel fragments before removing the tape.