1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Remove finish from my SX neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by John Webb, Mar 27, 2009.

1. John Webb

John Webb

Apr 20, 2006
    Myrtle Beach,SC
    What would happen if I stripped the neck except fort the fingerboard. It;'s a maple board.
    I just don;t like the look or feel.

2. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Trust me, bare wood is baaaaad! Your hand oils and such will quickly permeate the wood and make it all black and grubby. Raw wood will react wildly to changes in humidity. Bare wood will allow the grain to swell with a combination of humidity and your sweat and hand oils. Raised grain and swelled wood is great if you want splinter city, knock yourself out.

Sand down and refinish with a satin or wood oil? Refinish with satin is the preferred way, an oil finish is desired by many as well, though that will/may require maintenance and refinishing from time to time.

3. Yeah, bare wood means your neck will warp in ways you never imagined.

If it's a gloss finish, go over it with some steel wool (with the neck OFF the bass first unless you want shavings in your pickups) to make it feel smoother.

Why strip the back and not the fretboard?
    I am not quite sure what paint stripper would do to the frets, but if you covered them up properly, you could strip the old finish.

4. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
  5. ...Or Scotch Brite.

6. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    +1

7. Tru-oil that's used generally for gunstocks can be your friend. The stuff is great. I've sanded down several SX necks and refinished them with Tru-oil and it works great. Several coats and you're good to go. And it dries really fast.

8. If you're talking about the orange tinted neck you can remove that using Citristrip paint stripper. It'll remove the tinted varnish or whatever it is but leave the hard-as-nails poly coat that actually is the base layer that seals and protects the wood. The tinted layer is what I found to be so sticky feeling so once that was removed the neck felt soooo much better.

9. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I use scotchbrite pads on my SX necks. Just get a pad and rub it up and down the back of the neck for about 30 seconds or till it looks and feels right to you. Whatever SX uses for a finish responds great to the scotchbrite. Wipe the dust off the back of the neck with a damp rag and you have a very nice satin finish. The stuff works great.

10. John Webb

John Webb

Apr 20, 2006
    Myrtle Beach,SC
    great responses.......I'll go the scotchbrite route.

Should I take the neck and tuners off and do the whole neck......I think maybe I should leave the fingerboard alone!?

watcha think?

11. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Just do the back of the neck and leave the fingerboard alone. Maple boards need to be protected against wear and thining the finish there will have no beneficial effect.

I did this to my SX and the difference is very noticeable. I never found the finish particularly sticky until I did this. It really feels silky smooth now.

It doesn't get rid of the orange, it only tames it somehow.

12. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    I'm thinking of doing this too, which scotchbrite pad should I use?

13. BassBob185

BassBob185

Oct 25, 2007
    Rocking Chair
  14. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    You don't need to remove the tuners or the neck at all. You can just do the back of the neck where your hand goes .I leave the headstock alone and just go up to where the headstock and neck meet. By the time I get done doing the back of the neck and wiping off the dust the satin finish blends pretty well with the gloss finish,it doesn't change the color of the neck with just the scotchbrite. The ones I use I get at work and the are kind of coarse but I think any of them will work. Also leave the fretboard alone, there is no reason to take any gloss off of that. You can do this for the rosewood board necks too.

15. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Never used Scotchbrite on wood but the stiff green ones are very course and the brown works well for creating a satin finish in aluminum (hardware store versions). The ones form the grocery store may be different.

Start with the brown IMO.

16. Does Home Depot carry Tru-oil?? I bought 0000 steel wool to smooth the back of my neck, but think I need to put a coat of some kind of satin oil on it. What should I use?

17. Walmart does. In the sporting goods section.

18. Awesome, thanks

19. ZionBound

ZionBound

Dec 12, 2008
    Believe it or not Old English scratch cover wood polish works wonders. But it has to be the "scratch cover" and you have to let it set for a while and sink in but you will not be dissapointed with the end result. You can use it for your neck and if you wanna scuff up your fretboard (even though you shouldn't) it works well with that too. The have a light and a dark wood version. I just refinished a neck completely and went pretty in depth starting with a layer of epoxy sanding the tar out of it and doing the whole sandpaper ladder and ending up with putting a nice coat of polyurethane on it and it is SWEET!!!! If I do say so myself. (IIDSSM ?) we should add that one. lol

20. John Webb

John Webb

Apr 20, 2006
    Myrtle Beach,SC
    ...boy did i screw it up royally.

I stripped the whole neck like bassbob did below. It looked and felt perfect unfinished.....then I used a beeswax orangeoil stuff that was supposed to seal it and provide a hard wax coating.

All I can say is "mistake".

The wood oil/wax did not penetrate evenly and it had an ugly mottled look. I tried to even it out with stain and it went downhill from there.............looks like a freaking cow.
    Guess I should eat more chicken.

New neck ordered from Rondo.