1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Remove pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kyon`, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Hey, I've always wondered about removing pickups, do you just cut the wire or do I heat up the solder joints. I'm going to need to take some out on a cheap bass to do refinish it myself.

2. It really doesn't matter.

Ultimately it's best to desolder the leads, because every time you cut the leads, they are going to get shorter. (This isn't much of a problem if the leads can be replaced, but if you have epoxy potted pickups with leads that cannot be replaced, that would run you into trouble if they get too short.)

If you're in a hurry though, just cut the leads off as close to the solder joint as possible.

3. Desoldering is the way to go. Don't get into the habit of cutting wires... to me, the zen of working on bass electronics involves not cutting a wire that some day may be too short...

4. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    First things first, make sure you have a complete wiring diagram of the bass because you're going to have to put it back together when you're done refinishing it.

In terms of cutting vs. desoldering, if you have a bit of extra wire in the control cavity, then feel free to cut the wires and leave about 1/16" of the wire jacket so you can see what color of wire was soldered to each pot (it can help if you get lost reading wiring diagrams). If there's not a lot of extra wire, then unsolder the wires.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020