1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

remove pole pieces comepletely?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thobbinghotrod, Feb 24, 2008.

1. I have a squire vintage modified tele bass, I've lowered all eight pole pieces until they only have a couple of threads left in the pickups. what would happed if I took them out comletely? Would the pickup still work? Is there any danger of hurting the bobbin or not being able to put them back in. I might do it tonight but I don't have an amp at home to try it out.

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Let us know what happens.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    LOL!:D

The pickups won't work without the polepieces.

4. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Maybe not so, the magnet is under the bobbins more than likely (not sure of your specific construction but it sounds like std humbucking). The problem is that with the pole pieces the magnetic field will no longer be focused above the bobbins but rather localized below them, away from the strings. If the magnet is strong enough you may hear something, but I doubt it will work well.

I'm not a tech and I could be COMPLETELY off base here, but to the best of my understanding this is right.

5. I'm guessing that the pole piece is in a metal, threaded sleave, wouldn't that be the new path for picking up the strings vibration? I want to lower the output, I'm really happy with lowering the poles but I'm only halfway there. I'm just too chicken to do it, maybe I'll try the g string first and report back.

6. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Why don't you just turn down the volume knob or lower the pickup?

7. I've already lowered the pickup, and the sound gets more open as I lower the poles.

And who doesn't like to expiriment?

8. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    Don't do it , this sounds like a baaaaad idea !!!

9. so are you chicken or are you experimenting? :)

jokes aside, I would not do it personally because the sound can be tweaked from the amp without permanently damaging a good pickup