Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Removing 21/st Fret

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by r379, Dec 24, 2004.

1. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I've got an Allparts P-bass neck which has the 21/st fret hung out over the end of the neck and I want to know if I can remove the 21/st fret. I don't play up high and if I removed the 21/st fret it would be a lot easier to adjust the truss rod without removing the neck. Can I do it? What's the best way to do it or should I just leave it the way it is and put up with the inconvenience.

Thanks.

2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Are you just talking about removing the fret WIRE? I can't understand how that would make it easier to adjust the TR. If you're talking about removing the fret, fingerboard, etc. well that's another matter (which I'm still not sure I understand.)

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear. I'm talking about removing the fingerboard and all. I have access to wood working tools and a brother-in-law who is very good with those tools.

4. You can do this pretty easily and it should look like nothing was different IF one detail is correct - that's the location of the last fret in relation to the end of the heel of the back. If the fret is just before the end of the heel, chopping it off right at the heel might look bad with the fret slot so close to the end of the neck. I guess you could bevel the fretboard to compensate though. If the fretslot is after the end of the neck, you've got no worries. Carelfully cut it off and then you can even reshape it if you want. If the neck is a rear adjust, you might have to take off the TR nut so you don't hang up the table saw on it. :eek: