Removing 4003 P/U Cover

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BrettAM, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Could someone out there with a Ricky 4003 tell me how to remove the pickup cover over the treble pup? It really gets in the way of my playing. Thanks!
  2. I don't own a Ric, but I've been told that the pick up cover serves some purpose in the proper function of the pick up itself. Unless you have replaced the pick ups with aftermarket ones, you may end up messing up the pick up. How's that for using the word "up" in a sentance? :D

Of course, I may be wrong. I'll see if I can't find the thread I read that in.
  3. #%$@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God I hope not-I've seen a lot of Rickys with out the pup cover... If this is the case then I'm screwed....:(
  4. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Brett there's a way! It's been a long time since I took mine off but I believe that the cover is attached to the whole pick-up & height assembly.
    Just un-screw it, take the screws out, slide the cover out and put the screws back in and you should be good to go.. Make sure you put it back exactly like it came apart.
  5. I got it! Thankfully it still sounds the same, it was a b*tch to put back together but at least I can play right over the bridge pup now!:D
  6. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    All my friends that play rick's took them off as well... One of my friends say's that his sounds waaaaaay better now... Do er to er...

Alex :D
  7. I've had mine off and on a few times, depending on my mood.

About the "the cover is a pickup!" issue, the bloody thing is chromed plastic, at least this is the case on the "button-top" pickups in your 4003. I have heard that in the horseshoe pickup, the covers do have a purpose, but I doubt it - if I ever get vintage pickups I will most certainly try to take off the covers.

8. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    The "cover" on the vintage p/up is actually a "horse shoe" magnet. These are identified by a gap in the cover between the 2nd & 3rd strings. Removal of these WILL have affects!
    However, removeal of the "plastic" cover won't affect a thing. They are only there to preserve the "looks/style" of "vintage" models.
  9. Weird... so it senses string movement from both the bottom and top?

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hey, somebody sell me their cover! I want to see what my 4001 feels like with one.