Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

removing a bass top

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Matthew Tucker, Aug 31, 2002.

1. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    No I'm not going to do any such thing - but I've often wondered how on earth a luthier goes about softening the hide glue and pulling the top or back off a bass? Is the lacquer finish always damaged in the process?

and "purfling" - I thought that this was an integrally carved rim on the edge of the top or back but I read something that implies its a stuck-on bead. How is purfling added?

Matthew

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I'm going to move this to where the luthier types will be more likely to see it.

3. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The usual way to remove a top is a thin knife. Hide glue, when properly mixed and used, will "snap". It's quick, effective, and a bit tricky. Yellow glue (and nails) require a little more elbow grease, and a creative use of language.
    Purfling is inlaid into the plate (top,back). But only a couple of millimeters. It's a black/white/black strip of wood. Most purfling nowadays is black fiber/maple/black fiber. On cheapo instruments, the "purfling" is painted on. I like to call it furpling.