Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

removing a neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Juniorkimbrough, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I've searched but couldn't find any info on preperation of removing a neck.
    do I need to adjust the truss rod or just leave it as is?

do I just remove the screws and the neck with come off?

I've never done this before and wanted to do it right.

Thanks

2. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Take the strings off.
    Lay the bass upside down on your favorite table.
    using the proper size screw driver (one that fits the screw properly) remove the screws by hand. I always like to put the same screw back into the same hole, so you may want to rest them in some sort of pattern.
    The neck might be stuck somewhat. Grab the neck and the body (by the neck pocket that is to say) with one hand, or whatever combination gives you the best support, to support the joint.
    Carefully turn the bass over.
    Remove neck carefully by going straight up. You might have to kinda walk it out. Do it real slow, don't force it. It will come out. If it really sticks do to humidity, move it to a somewhat cooler, dryer room overnight.
    Hope this helps you.

3. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    so if it's lying face up, I need to pull the neck out straight up....or to the side, like sliding it out?

4. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    No, straight up vertically.
    Do not try to slide it out, you might chip the neck pocket and very often you wouldn't be able to slide it out anyway.

5. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Thanks!

6. thedoctor

thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    Most likely, your neck pocket gets smaller as it approaches the cutaway portion of the body so don't try to pull the neck longitudinally (away from the bridge). A lot of the necks resist coming straight up out of the pocket so be VERY patient. As this was pointed out to you previously, my real concern is the trussrod issue. How long do you intend to have your bass apart? If it is going to be a month or two, I would release the tension on the neck and take advantage of this time to lubricate the trussrod nut/screw. You will probly need to reset the trussrod after you do whatever you are doing to the guitar anyway.

7. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    thanks for the input!

I took the neck off last night and it was very easy, by the time I took the last screw out it came right off.

The neck is a fretless, and I'm planning on replacing it with a fretted so the neck will probably be off for a while. I will release the tension on the neck, I really didn't think about it til I read your post.

Thanks again!

8. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    your welcome. now be careful when putting that new neck on!