Removing a stubborn slide from a frog

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Michael Eisenman, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    My Finale bow needed its first rehair, and I recently had to cut the slide out of it. I couldn’t get it out in any of the obvious (to me) ways: stick it in the freezer for a while, hoping for contraction (nope); heating the frog in an oven to soften any gunk that might have gotten in (has worked before); and trying to wedge it out from behind, which has also worked, but can result in damage to the slide or frog. Nothing worked for my bow, and I had to cut out the slide and make a new one.

I just got another bow to rehair, and the slide was stuck. Luckily I was armed with new knowledge, thanks to a couple of YouTube videos that I discovered after my debacle. The easy solution from the first video below got the slide out in a jiffy. Should have been obvious to me, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Stubborn slide:

Really stubborn slide:

Groove Theory likes this.
  2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021