1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

removing all electronics--best practice?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Schizoid75, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    So, I've ordered some new pickups for my Warwick Fortress One and I'm removing all the pickups and electronics in preparation for the new installation. It's going from stock with 2-band onboard eq to completely passive with two volume pots. At this point I've unscrewed all the pots from the bass and removed all the pickup screws. So all the wires are still attached to everything. What's the best way to finish the removal? Cutting certain wires? Cut where? Heat up the solder and pull various wires free? I'm a complete noob at this sort of thing and my soldering and electronic skills/knowledge are nil--though I do have a soldering iron.

2. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Are you installing new pickups and pots?

3. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I will be, but the pickups won't be arriving for a few weeks. I'm waiting on some other parts, too, so my plan was to just clean the bass out and have it ready for the new pickups and pots when they arrive.

If I like the new pickups, I'll likely offer the old MEC's for sale so I'd like to do whatever I can to keep them in the most "sellable" shape.

4. robert43

robert43

Jun 5, 2007
    Australia
    1st of all make a diagrame & some pictures.
    2nd lable very thing you can ie pots volume etc
    3rd unsolder the min that you have to do
    4th put every thing in a box
    The reason why I say all of these things is because you latter might A what to reinstall it again
    B might want to sell it.
    I dont know how many time people want to go back or sell some thing & dont know what when where & either stuff it up wreck it ie smoke comes out from wrong polatirty.
    Try to sell it have no wiring diagrame so no one wants to touch it or get offered stuff all for it.
    I have looked at a couple of preamps on the bay for a work mate, as soon as I say got a diagrame , sorry none we lose interest , as he wont take the risk like a lot of people
    A lot of maafutres dont have support or too old