removing all of the strings...dangerous?!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tracker_br, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Hi there, I need to do some work on my bass ,nut replacement and fingerboard cleaning and I have never removed all of my strings at once , only one at a time.
    Can this be dangerous to the neck curvature and screw with my neck?
    Is necessary to loosen the thruss rod so the tension from it won't bend back the neck?

2. I shouldn't think that removing all the strings will hurt your neck.

It never hurt me, and really, when you tighten/loosen the truss, it takes about 1/2 day to adjust, so I don't think there should be any problem at all. :)

G'luck :D
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    It shouldn't. Unless you try to take off the neck before loosening the strings...

Old Fenders had truss rods that could only be accessed by taking off the neck entirely.
  4. No, it isn't "dangerous" to remove all the strings. It is impossible to do a lot of routine maintenance items with the strings in place.
  5. thank guys,
    the times I cleaned my fingerboard , I always loosened a string and clean under it , then did it with the others , it took a lot of time.
    probably if I had taken all of them off it would be faster.
    now for a replacemente of the nut , I'll have to do it , so God help me and hope the neck can deal good with the back tension.

(by the way , the new bass is a ibanez EDB 690)
  6. i heard taking off all the string and letting it sit like that for a while can mess up the neck.
  7. me too , and that's why I posted the message , but the fellwos here said that the time to the neck to mess is too short and that's no problem for doing it.
  8. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Nah, it won't mess up the neck. What do you think happens to the neck when the bass (or guitar) is being built and after everything else is done and the finish is being applied?

Or, when having the pickups replaced? Or having the frets replaced or shaved and reshaped? Or if you order a bolt on neck from someone like Warmoth or Carvin? Their bolt on necks are sitting in stock with no strings on them.

When your done cleaning everything up and you restring the bass, tune it up, check the intonation, then check the relief in the neck. Give it a day or two to settle in, then recheck the relief. If you haven't changed the gauge or brand of strings, it should be fine. If it should happen to move just a little bit, make the necessary adjustments.

Believe me, a good quality neck can take a LOT!

Happy Holidays,
  9. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    I wouldn't worry about it - I always take all the strings off at once, do some fretboard cleaning, then restring with no problems.
  10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

I've owned every type of bass you can imagine from a Peavey to a Fodera. When I change strings, I take snippers and cut them all off! I then clean the board and the rest of the bass and put a new set on. I've never had any problems with any of my basses. I have no patience so I can't sit there and unwind them. I also change strings quite often. I hope this helps

11. thanks guys , I always thought that to release all strings at once I'll need to release the truss rod and then tune it back.
    and for cleanning the fretboard I had an humungous job , cause I did it with the string on .
    thanks again.