Removing all strings at once?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ifix230, Dec 8, 2004.

1. I've been reading the threads about changing strings and I see it's recommended to change one string at a time. I have a MM SR4 and would like to clean and reseal the fretboard. What problems can occur if all strings are removed at once. Thanks for any advice for this neophyte.
  2. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I've heard its better to change one at a time too. But I've been doing them "all at once" for many years with not a single problem. I think it is ok to do all at once and it makes fretboard cleaning easier.
  3. What Schwinn said. You should only have to clean the board once a year unless your eating hot wings while you play.. :eek:
  4. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I ALWAYS do 1 string at a time. I just want there to always be some tension against the neck...
  5. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I do routine string changes one at a time, but for fingerboard cleaning I always remove them all. I have never had a problem with either.
  6. ...unless you leave them all off for a long time, like an idiot. I did that to an old Hohner Steinberger copy, & with full tension on the trussrod, it flexed it(I guess)enough to crack & split the thick black finish. But it took weeks to do this, & I've done 1 or 6 at a time in a timely fashion & had no problems.
  7. ... idont care - got a carbon fiber neck :)
  8. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    If your change one at a time, there is less set-up mainetance required afterwards.

However, I schedule fretboard work with complete set-ups and string changes to make it worth the effort.
  9. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I change all of them at once at least every 6 months. For a good cleaning and such. I won't hurt unless you leave'm off for and extended period. I think this should go in setup, don't you think?
  10. A former teacher of mine(and former guitar tech) taught me to take them all off by loosening them alternatingly...E,G,A,D -or D,A,G,E-so you dont have alot of pressure on only one side of the neck.
  11. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    that's how I do it.
  12. not exactly true. if your using the same brand of strings the tension will be the same thus no set up needed. if your switching brands with different tension, then your gonna have to set it up again no matter if you change one string at a time or all at one.

on the 3 basses i've ownd since playing since i was 12. i've always changed them all at once. not a single bit of harm be came the necks. so have at it.