removing and putting strings back on.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Can I take my roundwounds off, so i can oil my frets and replace my pickup then put stings back on? or will i need new strings?
  2. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I think it depends on how old the strings are, but I know some people here take there strings off and soak them in Alcohol to revive them. So, if I were you (and I did not want to replace my strings), I would take them off and soak them so you can kill two birds with one stone ;)
  3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Oil your fingerboard with Lemon Oil, but there's no need to oil your frets . . . I hope you aren't talking about motor oil . . . :bag:
  4. Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    Vegetable oil, preferably used is an interesting oil to try too.

Sure strings can be removed and replaced, definately a good time to give them a bath like mnolansoc said. But take a look at them, if they're excessively dented from the frets or limp, you might reconsider buying new ones.
  5. The worst part about removing strings is it you have a string-thru-body or the Fender Pbass type bridge that has a hole that the string has to go through. This means that you have to uncoil the part that went around your machine head to get it through that pesky hole.
    A bridge with slots that let you slip the string in and out without having to uncoil the string makes things much easier.

If you have to uncoil the felt end, do it slowly and carefully. The more times you do this to a string, the easier it is to weaken it. Dragging the string through a hole in the bridge usually messes up any felt that your strings might have on them, and if you pull that last bent end through without caution, it usually jumps out of the bridge and scratches the finish on your bass. Funny how Murphy's Law applies to basses too?

I've removed, cleaned, and replaced strings six times or more even on the harder bridges. With a bit of care, you shouldn't have problems.