1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

removing cross over

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by yobtaf, May 11, 2015.

1. yobtaf

yobtaf

Nov 29, 2012
    apple valley
    So I was reading a thread on tx410 and a guy took out the inductor and said he got more mids through his speakers. he also made a statement about removing the crossover altogether by just putting new input jack and deleting the crossover. I hate the tweeter on these cabs and want to get more full sound. I have an ampeg 810 next to these 2 410's. Im trying to reach more of the sound of that. with the tweeters off it sounds kinda choked down. any thoughts on this?
    here is the original thread i was referring to By Request: How to bypass the Peavey 410TX crossover | TalkBass.com

Thanks

2. I think the reason that thread died 13 years ago is the guy probably wound up doing damage.
    Cone speakers in bass guitar cabs run full range, only the tweeter is "crossed over". If you want to eliminate the horn and crossover cleanly, replace the input plate (crossover is usually in it) with a new input plate only wired to the cones.
    Don't expect it to sound any different, the difference between the cabs is the speakers used and cab design, not the crossover.

yobtaf likes this.
  3. yobtaf

yobtaf

Nov 29, 2012
    apple valley
    yeah get thats its never gonna be an ampeg, it will always be a peavey. so with the horn off, the crossover is not really doing anything? or replacing the input plate like you said that would be the way to go for the fullrange sound..

4. The 10"s are already running full range (it is not a HiFi stereo cab). If it makes you feel better replace the input plate, just don't spend a lot of cash on it or modify the cab so the original won't go back if you sell the cab later. Different 10" speakers sound different (even within the Ampeg line).

yobtaf likes this.
  5. yobtaf

yobtaf

Nov 29, 2012
    apple valley
    ok thanks! so that guy was preaching snake oil! thanks for your help!!!

B-string likes this.
  6. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    You are 100% wrong - I have a TVX. The crossover is NOT a simple HPF for the tweeter - there is a LPF for the four 10's also. you have to bypass the LPF if you want to run without the tweeter unless you want no highs at all - sounded like it had a wet blanket over it when I was given it with a blown tweeter.

yobtaf likes this.
  7. Then I would stand corrected. Hard to believe any production cab would spend the cost to double the natural roll-off at high frequencies the cone drivers already have. To maintain a 12db per octave they would have two inductors and two caps?

yobtaf likes this.
  8. yobtaf

yobtaf

Nov 29, 2012
    apple valley
    see thats what i would describe it as, a blanket over it. so now, yes Im a bit confused :)

9. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    If you want full range, just take out all the crossover components with the input jack wired direct to the speakers.

Hoochie Coochie Man and yobtaf like this.
  10. yobtaf

yobtaf

Nov 29, 2012
    apple valley
    will this change anything other than full range? like what the cab can handle?

11. yobtaf

yobtaf

Nov 29, 2012
    apple valley
    did some searching around and found this.

410TX Crossover Inductor or Substitute Info Needed - Peavey Forum

text from thread

But there are two coils, one on the board, and the one we described that mounts off the board and plugs onto it.

The signal enters the board through the jack, and immediately splits two ways. One branch is off the board through a molex, through that external coil, and back to the board, from there on to the woofers. There is a cap across the woofer line to shunt off a little high end. The other branch is to the tweeter, through a resistor that is not there, probably a wire now, and a C-L-C circuit to block lows.

12. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    These cabs have a baked in mid scoop which was popular at the time but makes them sound like arse with a head that also has a natural mid-scoop. And once the tweeter blows (which they tend to as you have to crank it more than a "normal" cab) they are unusable. Good thing is you can usually find one for free and "fix" it easily. They're still stoopid heavy though :rollno: .

13. yobtaf

yobtaf

Nov 29, 2012
    apple valley
    very heavy for sure, but its what i own. two of them :) so what i read you bypassed the inductor, but running the new input jack would get full range the best from what im getting out of this. here are pics of the crossover and the inductor. red black to horn, blue black red on crossover from input, yellow black to inductor, and blue yellow to speakers. so im guessing blue yellow to new input for full range. any help would be great!
    IMG_5658.JPG IMG_5657.JPG IMG_5654.JPG

14. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I'd not bother - it should be easy enough to remove all the crossover components from the PCB and not need to mess about with mounting a new jack. I don't think my TVX has the connectors, I think it was hard wired. Otherwise I would have taken it home to work on. I might try to have the inductor feed just two of the drivers (a vertical pair) as that's been discussed here:
    ".5 Aligned" 4x10 cabs | TalkBass.com

15. yobtaf

yobtaf

Nov 29, 2012
    apple valley
    Im not gonna lie, im a bit confused by what you said. the input is soldered to the board, maybe yours wasnt. here is a pic, looks like i would need new input that i could drill a new hole above all of this or just cut piece of metal to replace whats there and drill hole for input, then attach the two wires. sorry im not getting it and asking so many questions. thank for the help IMG_5659.JPG

16. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Just use the existing jack. If you don't know how to unsolder the caps and then jumper the signal over from the jack to the speaker connector I suggest you find someone who does :) .

17. yobtaf

yobtaf

Nov 29, 2012
    apple valley
    thanks.

18. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Smurf Village
    So?.... did it sound different without the crossover?

19. yobtaf

yobtaf

Nov 29, 2012
    apple valley
    ha funny I was just talking to my friend about doing this, this weekend. I was spoiled with using an SVT for the past few months, but had to give it back. So this is back on the list to get done. I will for sure report back, I hate threads with out updates as well.
    Thanks!

20. I would add a "full range 4x10" jack somewhere on the cab and leave the existing crossover/input jack plate alone.
    Just move the existing 4x10" wiring to the new jack, and preserve the original configuration.