Removing dot markers

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JohnL, Apr 4, 2002.

1. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Is there a way to remove the round plastic fret markers (I would like to replace them with abalone)on a rosewood fingerboard without doing damage?
  2. How about this: Try drilling into the center of the dot with a small bit. Use a size that matches coat hanger wire or something similiar. Then use the coat hanger wire to insert in the hole and pry out the disk. That way you won't have to bugger up the edges of the depression in the fretboard.
  3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I like the drill idea. Don't go too deep. You may try placing a drop of superglue desolver into the hole before you pry on it. Otherwise, you could splinter the edges.

You'll need something stiff enough to pry with but flexible enough to fit in the hole. I bought an old set of dentist's tools at a flea market years ago, and many have come in handy for bass repair.

One note. Those inlays are sanded smooth with the board before it is fretted using a radiused sanding block. Sanding it flush and keeping it even with the frets in the way is going to be a real PIA.

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    JohnL, before you go drilling holes in your fret markers, check out

Fretware might be an easier, cheaper, and less permanent answer for you...
  5. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Thanks guys! To Hambone: I figured the drill was going to be the only way, was just checking to see if anyone had success any other way. To Chasarms: Thanks for the sanding reminder, I had considered that, just didn't put it in my post. To Slater: the Fretware site was pretty interesting, thanks for the heads up!