Removing Fender logo and paint job from bass headstock

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Ricardo Alves, Feb 21, 2022.

1. Ricardo Alves

Ricardo Alves

Nov 16, 2021
    I got myself a second hand Squier VM Jaguar Bass and the last owner painted the headstock, glued a fender logo and varnished it.
    To be honest I think the logo looks pretty ugly and It's obviously fake. I wanted to know how can I remove it considering it's varnished! View attachment 4594474

2. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    If it’s varnished, you’ll have to sand it back until the decal is gone, I’d keep going to bare wood and start over, just the headstock face. Make sure you get the right Squier decal or it can really tank re-sale. Lots of tutorials on how to do a water-slide decal right on YT, do your homework and do it right, or again: resale issues. The Fenderites can spot a tiny error in style or alignment instantly. I don’t know why people bother to fake this, too many other tells that an expert can spot.

3. Ricardo Alves

Ricardo Alves

Nov 16, 2021
    Yeah, I don't even think he was trying to fake it. Fender instruments are quite expensive here in Brazil, so people like to do those things only to show off to other people lol
    Anyway, I don't plan to re-sell it and tbh, I don't even mind about leaving the headstock without a logo. Maybe I can sand it until I remove all the paint and the logo as well?

T_Bone_TL likes this.
  4. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    You could do that easily, but don’t leave bare wood. Tape off the neck and headstock edges and spray with some clear poly. If it’s got an amber tint to it, you could seal with shellac first then overcoat with poly or laquer. No knock on Squier basses, they are well made and can be upgraded to full blown Fender spec for a lot less than the retail cost difference, as long as you don’t care about resale value.

T_Bone_TL likes this.
  5. Acetone and a pile of rags.