Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Removing Fingerboard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EvilBassPlayer, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Hi!

Im very curious about this, how can i remove the fingerboard of a g**tar/bass ? Nice instruments not always come with a also nice fingerboard... my excuse to ask how to do something like this is because im tired of rosewood and i want to use other wood, without changing my instrument.

Opinions? Help? Advice? Whatever...

EBP

2. I was gonna ask the same thing because I want to buy an ATK but most of them are maple and I love rosewood. Does any one know?

3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    May the fine moderators here move this topic to the "Setup" forum.

You may have better luck finding answers to your questions there.

4. You're right... i forgot that one... :eek: :D

EBP

5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    It's probably better to change the whole neck.

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I agree.

The process involves heating the fingerboard up with something hot enough to melt the glue, such as an iron. The thing is, you run the risk of damaging the fretboard when you remove it, breaking it at the fretslots. If you do that, there's no going back. The price of a new fretboard, cut to your specified radius, fretted (assuming you want frets or even fingerboard dots), and cut to the exact width of your neck, ready to install is just part of the battle. Then you'll have to ensure that you don't improperly glue the fretboard on in such a way that you get glue in the truss rod channel. If you do that, fuggetaboutit!!!

Buy a new neck and save your hassles for something else. It may cost less in the long run.;)