1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Removing finish from Maple neck really bad idea?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PunkerSlut, Apr 28, 2010.

1. PunkerSlut

PunkerSlut

Dec 25, 2007
    In a bit of a bind. Years ago, I dropped $180 on a used Ibanez GSR200. That thing is the fastest, meanest neck I've ever touched. I love it. But it sounded like poop. Lots of noise, and 90% of my bass-idols played Fender, so surprise-surprise, I bought one. I dropped around a grand on a Fender Jazz 70's Reissue. Thing sounds gorgeous, but something was different when I played it. Just felt... Sticky. And I throw down quite a bit on stage, so **** gets slippery when the sweat starts pouring. I just don't like the finish. The "C" shape is a bit of an ass pain, but I dunno, maybe I'll love playing it as much as I do with my GSR200 if I remove the finish.

But after poking around with the idea of a custom neck on Warmoth.com, I read that "Maple must be finished to protect from warping"... Well ****! I'm already learning how to cope with my first ever "up-bow"... I don't even know how it got this way!

Am I S.O.L.? Help!

(I just find it really ironic that I feel more at home on a really, really cheap bass. Maybe a whole different, brand new fast-attack bass is in my future? Hmmm...)

2. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    A good oil finish on the neck would give you the feel of the bare wood but still offer some protection. It would be similar to a Musicman neck. Do a search for oil finishes and there should be some good info.

3. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    EBMM necks are unfinished, just oiled. Unfinished can take up moisture quicker than a sealed neck, but warpage is usually another factor.

You can always have a clear satin which would be sealed, yet not slick when wet.

I'm confused though, are you saying the neck is trashed or that you want to get the gloss off of it?

4. Lurker79

Lurker79

Jul 3, 2008
    Hayward, CA
    Whatever is on the back of the 08 pbass is sex. I like that. I'll take a MM classic too....some people sand it off. I wouldn't. Play it off.

5. I read a lot of guys take fine steel wool to the neck to kind of dull the finish.

6. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Yeah... try the fine grade steel wool to take the shine off the finish, making it satin-finish, but leaving it on to protect the wood.

7. bassix

bassix

May 1, 2000
    Denver, Colorado
    You might give this a shot.

This is Galeazzo Frudua from Frudua Guitars and he demonstrates a quick method for 'deglossing' your neck that might help.

_Mark

8. PunkerSlut

PunkerSlut

Dec 25, 2007
    I just hate the gloss. I prefer the natural wood feel. But I've only been playing for a couple years, and there's no clear indicator to me WHY I love my GSR200's neck so much. Shape... Feel... Sound... It's not that jerk "C" shape that Fender uses. It's flatter. That makes mach-ten-neckwork so much easier for me! I feel more at home on whatever the GSR200's neck has got going on. Who knows. Maybe the warp in the neck of my Fender is the reason playing it feels so wierd now... Stupid brain. Be more specific in identifying my preferences please!

9. PunkerSlut

PunkerSlut

Dec 25, 2007
    Thank you so much! This is genius! Brilliant! I appreciate you showing this to me more than words can explain!

I'll be doing this to my Fender now, and probably even to my acoustic bass. I'll let you know how it goes!

10. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    i found the same scotchbrite pads used in the video at lowes. they are even the same greyish color like the ones used in the video. i did it on my mim j bass years ago it made such a big difference

11. Exactly what I've done on a few of my basses. It works and is very easy. The video is great. Thanks for the link.