Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Removing fret lines

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by 5stringDNA, Mar 19, 2003.

1. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I'm fairly sure I am going to buy s Spector Piezo Q5 very soon here, but I have one problem with it. The fretless model only comes with white fretlines, and I really find fretlines rather ugly. Do any of you have experience removing painted fretlines from fingerboards? The luthier I go to charges very reasonable rates and does nice work, so I think I would take it to him to have it done, rather than mess up a new instrument doing it myself. What all labor would be involved in the process, and how much do you think this would cost? (approximately)

Thanx- Byron

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    If they're painted on there, I would think the board could be sanded down. An hour or a couple hours is a conservative estimate, assuming your luthier can match the radius of the existing board.

If the lines are inlaid, then things get hairy. That's a job I would not take, myself.

3. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I'm quite sure that they are just painted on, therwise I wouldn't even consider having them removed.