Removing hairline scratches

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by raycer, Apr 21, 2004.

1. raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    Now I know my Viper bass will be getting more scratches, but since it it black, even though it is brand new, you can see little hairline marks on it in a couple of spots, probably since it was on the wall in the music shop and being black everything shows.

You guys and girls use anything for removing such scratches and anything to keep it look nice and shiny.

I should have remembered how hard black is to keep nice after owning a black car for a while :)
  2. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    This is kinda unrelated, but...
    To remove small scratches on the ipod screen, ppl use a little brasso to polish it. Apparently it works like a dream.
    Or, you could try using Meguiar's scratch X - normally used to remove little scratches on cars.

Ok, I really have no idea how both with work on the bass - so unless other ppl second these suggestions, I think it's better not to try them :help:
  3. raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    LOL, thanks for the reply though :)

I was thinking of using car stuff but I'm not sure if stuff like Meguiars would be good on a bass.

Anybody use the fender care pack thing?
  4. MyDogBo

Aug 25, 2002
    ummm.. why not? the paint products and processes are completely similar .. the first guys that did the gun work in fullerton were squirting cars before electric guitars .. try 3M (automotive) "Finese It" less abrasive or Meguirs (automotive) "Swirl Cut or Remover" - Word of advice .. if it's cleared be sure not to rub too hard or too long because you don't want to get into the color...
  5. I got a finishing compound from a wood working store, probably can get it other places though......

It's made by behlen and is called deluxing compound, used mostly for furniture.

Did an excellent job on a black G&L.
  6. Before you hit with the abrasive compounds, try a good synthetic polymer wax from Mother or Meguiars. These tend to fill in the hairline marks pretty well with a coat or two so you may not require a compound. If that doesn't get it, try a cleaner/wax and if you still need more then move to a very light compound like a clear coat compound. My suggestion is to go conservative. Don't start by bombing the lake.

Lastly, you can have a pro take care of it with a buffing wheel.
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Psh. Leave em. When i get a scratch on my bass im proud.
  8. raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    Thanks for the info everyone

Sorry about posting in the wrong forum. I didn't think it would go in setup :)
  9. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I learned to use Maguire's from a luthier. It's perfectly good stuff.:D

There's actually 2 products to use by Maguire's:
    First, use the rough cut in a circular motion to remove the scratch.

Second, use the mirror glaze in a circular motion to restore the shine.

Works like a charm!:D