removing headstock decal

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JazznFunk, Aug 13, 2005.

1. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    quick question for our luthiers... i am stripping down an OLP MusicMan neck (maple) for a friend for a project he's working on and need to know what the best way is to remove the headstock logo. i'm not sure if it is clearcoated (i don't think it is... feels pretty raw to my fingers), but i would like to remove it in the least intrusive way possible. i know a very fine grit sandpaper may be in order, but i want a professional (or semi-pro) opinion on the best way to do it. any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
  2. Bryan, it's got a clearcoat for sure but it's probably a satin finish to mimic the oil finish of the original MM's so it will feel "raw" like you say. So here it is...Headstock Decal Removal for Dummies:

1. Mask off around the logo so that you completely surround it with a corral of tape. Then mask out further another width of tape to make sure you've got some extra. This leaves a little window with the logo peaking through.

2. Using 400 grit automotive type sandpaper, dry sand the logo lightly until it disappears. Don't worry if some of the tape gets sanded - that's what it's there for. It might take some time to get down to the logo but be patient. Don't go any further than it takes to get the decal off of the headstock. It had to be applied to a sealer or a bottom clearcoat so there some protection underneath it. Don't break through to the wood.

3. Remove the tape and wetsand the area lightly with 600 grit paper to level it out.

4. Lightly spray a coating of clear polyurethane were the decal use to be. Don't mask if you can because it will leave a line. Just let the mist blend in with the old clear. You won't have to use much, just enough to touch up what you sanded off.

5. If the overspray is too much, just use some buffing compound to rub it down and even things up.

or something like that.
  3. joeyhimself

Jul 17, 2005
    If it isn't clear-coated, then a blow dryer or another heat source should do fine.
  4. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    thanks to the both of ya that responded to me. i tried the technique just as you described and it worked out perfectly. i appreciate you taking the time to type all that out for a novice woodworker! :)
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Do you have any photos after the surgery?