1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Removing industrial strength velcro

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by opivy3056, Dec 17, 2006.

1. opivy3056

opivy3056 stardust in a light beam

Oct 14, 2004
    San Diego
    heyyy

I'm gonna try to make some room on my pedalboard for some new additions/rearrangements and I need to get the old velcro off of it. The material its stuck on is sheet metal. (my board is wood cased in metal)

What should I use to get it off without residue?

-thx

2. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    if it's anything like the industrial strength velcro i use, you should just be able to peel it off slowly. it'll be somewhat hard to do and time-consuming, but it should work.

if not, some sort of plastering spatula dipped in rubbing alcohol...? maybe you could soak the velcro in rubbing alcohol for a while...? just some suggestions... best i can do.

3. Beautiful_Bass

Beautiful_Bass

Dec 16, 2006
    Sydney
    If you use the usual methods of removal and it leaves a residue, just take a trip to your supermarket and get one of those 'magic erasers' that remove marker and other such off walls...they work pretty damn well at getting sticky glue substances off of things too...just be careful if you manage to get the velcro off of the back of a pedal with any labels on...the eraser will probably stuff it up (you know, if the velcro hasn't done that already ;) )

4. A nylon "brush" type of abrasive pad on the end of an angle grinder works wonders for old epoxy.

5. squarewave

squarewave Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    A solvent-based remover such as "oops" would work too.

6. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I'll go with Blasting Caps for the win, Alex...:eek::D

7. Rubber Cement remover. Soak the velcro in it for a bit and it'll peel right off. It will also remove all the glue without damaging anything. It's available at just about any art supply store. Also great for those price stickers and UPC stickers that otherwise never come off.

8. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    [​IMG]

9. opivy3056

opivy3056 stardust in a light beam

Oct 14, 2004
    San Diego
    Yeah I was thinking that or kerosene.

How close should I hold the matches when im applying this stuff?;)

10. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Depends, on whether you want your eyebrows/lashes removed as well, or not.