1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

removing inlays?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by 4StringedFreak, Aug 17, 2007.

1. 4StringedFreak

4StringedFreak

May 26, 2007
    hey, i have a bass with inlays that dont appear to be inlays at all. they seem to be paint, or some kind of sticker just put on top of the fret board. since i hate inlays, id really like to remove them, but im not sure how. would a nail polish remover or something along those lines work with out damaging the wood?
    thnx
    -Will

2. 4StringedFreak

4StringedFreak

May 26, 2007
    ...anyone?

3. if you remove them...what are you going to fill them with?

4. he's going to fill them with "reading comprehension"...:p

Mr. freak,

my 1st question is this...what is the board? is it maple or rosewood? does it have a finish or doesn't it?

photos please...

5. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    ouch.

6. if ouch=comedic gold, then yes, ouch indeed.

7. If it's a sticker, maybe you could steam them to loosen the glue, then peel them off.

8. if he steams too much, out comes the fretboard

9. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    but if you give a mouse a cookie he'll ask for a glass of milk.

10. That would have to be a pretty poorly applied fretboard to come off with a little direct steam. It took me and another guy 3 hours to remove a fretboard that was set for a week. That was using a steamer, chisels and various blades and caveman tools.
    But care must be taken when using something that could also power a locomotive, I'll give you that.

11. for all we know, i could very well be a cheaply applied fretboard, who knows,

12. If it's paint. paint thinner? but that'd hurt the rest of the board.

It'll be difficult to get any inlay out w/o compromising the integrity of the rest of the board. If I were you, I just leave it as is, or get a new neck.

13. so you might be a piece of wood with little metal bits all along you?!?:D