Removing input jack on an Ibanez SR 700

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ezed, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Ezed

Ezed Guest

Jul 12, 2020
    Does anyone know how to remove the input jack on an Ibanez SR 700? I don't want to just go off and possibly damage it. Is there a special tool that I don't know about? It fits extremely tight in the body, and the outside portion seems to have a threaded fitting.

Attached Files:

2. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    It's an output jack.

And sorry no. I don't know how to help.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  3. MynameisMe

MynameisMe Be kind. Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Jax, Florida
    Looks like it’s glued in place, not threaded.
    Then the wires soldered on.
    I’m guessing but unsolder it and gently work it loose from the cavity out.

4. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    That's weird...There should be a nut in on the barrel jack to prevent it from being pulled out, If it's glued on, that's terrible as it makes it difficult to replace it. I recently replaced a couple of barrel jacks in two of my basses, what I did was I didn't solder them on but secured them by just wrapping the wires securely on the post. Reason for this is that it makes it easier to replace in the future, barrel jacks are the worst as you can't bend the contacts if they get too loose. I would have replaced them with your standard switchcraft jack but the output jack hole is too deep.

5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Is your plan to replace it with an output jack?

Wood and Wire likes this.
  6. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    Once you take off the threaded collar on the outside you may find that you can unscrew the barrel from the body..... unless they used too much (if any) glue in there. They may have simply threaded it into the body.

7. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    Looks like you just unsolder the leads (pic #1), then use something like needle nose pliers to turn the grip of the inner barrel anti-clockwise, and extract it from the front (pic #2).

The outer barrel is permanently glued in place, and doesn't need to be removed.

And yes, it's an output (the musician is the input).

8. non

non

Aug 4, 2015
    i have a sr600.
    the output jack is inserted from the outside of the body to the inside of the control cavity.
    to remove the output jack unsolder the lead wires (take a picture of the lead wires and output jack first so you know how they go back on). unscrew the locking nut inside of the control cavity. slide that and the washer off. push the output jack out of the body from inside of the control cavity.
    there is NO glue holding it in. it just might be a snug fit.

Wood and Wire likes this.
  9. Ezed

Ezed Guest

Jul 12, 2020
    Ok, so the jack does just thread into the body. There is a tool called a Jacktight that I currently can not get a hold of, but looks like it would help a lot. And for those out there who are word nazis, I asked for some practical help, not a lesson on terminology. If you can’t help, please don’t respond to people.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021