Removing/installing a fingerboard myself...

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Eilif, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Here's what it is....
    My engelhardt EC1 has a maple ebonized fingerboard. I had it shaped and dressed by a good luthier, who also redyed the board, but I am a bit anoyed that whatever I do to it, the black dye is going to continue to wear off and show maple through. I found a rosewood board made specifically for my instrument at Bob G's website for around 80 bucks. I know that in replacing the fingerboard I will have to have the new one shaped and dressed, but I would like to do it as economically as possible.

Is is worth it to remove and replace the fingerboard myself and then take it to the luthier to have it properly dressed?

How would I go about removing the old board and regluing the new one.
  2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    This is not recommended. The removal and re-fit is crutial. You can't dress a poorly fit FB. Then he will charge to re-do it again. Plus, the Board and the neck usually need some slight leveling themselves b4 the dressing is done. Let a Pro do this. You will not save much if at all trying to help out.
  3. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Thanks for the advice,
    Is it worth it to purchase the board myself? 80 bucks seems awfully inexpensive.
    Also, do you have any suggestions for touching up a dyed fingerboard?
  4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Those boards are made only for Englehardt necks. They have no "oversize" or room for fitting. I'm not going to tell you can't do this, but it is an advanced repair technique that requires skill, some special tools, and lots of patience. If you have another bass to play while you learn how to do the job right, then you could do it... or you could crack the neck trying to get the board off, which is a big can of worms.

If this is your only bass, leave it to someone that has experience and can get the bass back to you in a week or two.