1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Removing / Installing Speakers (GK Paragon)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by agreatheight, Feb 24, 2008.

1. OK, my replacement Paragon came in the mail yesterday so I am going to install her in my 410RBH. But there is some kind of sheath on the speakers wires that seems to slide over the contacts on the speaker, and I can't figure out how to get them to 'let go' of the contact to uninstall the old speaker. What is the trick? I don't see anything obvious. And once I get it to let go, how do I get it to grab back on?

Thanks in advance!!

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
  3. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Also, before pulling, carefully note which wire goes to which terminal.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It's hard to diagnose without pics, but from your description they sound like slide-on connectors. They will have a fair bit of friction because without it, the wire could detach when you least want it to. Try wiggling and jiggling while sliding the connector off.

5. IMG_4223.

Bad pic, but hopefully it will help. I was thinking that they were slide-on connectors as well, but are tight if they are. I just want to be sure I am doing it right.

6. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Those are slide-on connectors, like the picture I showed, but without the outer plastic covering. Rocking them side to side will help get them off, as will a bit of gentle help with a flat blade screwdriver between the connector and the lug on the driver.

Of course Murphy's Law has some special considerations for speakers, such as a strong attractive force between the tip of a screwdriver, and the cone.

Note that you can see red corresponding to the "+" terminal of the driver.

7. Thanks! Gonna give them a bit more force and see where that get's me.

8. All set. Two of them were on there real good, but I got them off and the new speaker is installed, no problem.

Thanks all!