Removing Jazz tone pot

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ChronicPyromaniac, Aug 11, 2009.

1. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    So I've gotten this idea that since I crank my tone knob all the time anyway, I might as well just get rid of the electronics and reduce the load on my signal. I'm just not sure how to do the wiring. Here's how it looks stock:

3812103917_05397215c6.jpg

And here's the way I thought it should be wired:

3812103951_0aff9c9ccc.jpg

Is this correct? Thanks a million!

2. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    The absolute easiest way to do this is to simply get some wire cutters and cut the tone capacitor out of the circuit. The tone pot would still stay soldered in there, but removing the caps will break the circuit, removing any loading the tone circuit was causing.

Very easy to reverse, too. Just solder in a new cap.

3. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    But if I ever want to return it to stock, that would be fairly inconvenient. I also want to put on a three-hole control plate, and I can't do it with the pot still in there.

4. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    What exactly is inconvenient? Any method of removing the tone circuit will require soldering. How is it more difficult to return it to stock by replacing a cap than by swapping control plates and re-soldering the bulk of your control cavity?

5. Grissle

Grissle

May 17, 2009
    Also it will sound a little brighter without the tone in there.

6. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    That's what I want.

7. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    Also, will soldering the ground wire to the bridge help with noise?

8. Solder absolutely does not stick to the back of the bridge...

Pull out an ohm meter and see if the bridge makes continuity with the ground in the control cavity. If it is functional, there is no need to mess with it.

If the bridge is not grounded, most people spread out the strands of the ground wire across the top of the bass so that they sandwich in between the bridge and the bass when you tighten the bridge down.

Personally, i lay out a piece of copper tape with the ground soldered to it like this:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jrkdesimone/3453959497/

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021