Removing knobs on pots?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Alowishus, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Alowishus

Feb 28, 2005
    how do I do it? is there some special way or do I just yank em off?

Ps, I would like to keep the knobs, so I cant destroy them.
  2. It depends on the type of knob. Many knobs are attached with a small set screw. These are hard to see, and will be on the side of the knob halfway down. You will need a very small flathead screwdriver if your knobs have this. Knobs without set screws do usually just pull right off, though. A gentle pull should be enough; if it feels like you're going to break something, you probably are.
  3. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Some knobs have set screws, either hex or slotted. If so, use the appropriate tool.

Other knobs (typically plastic) are press-on. The two best ways to remove them without spending money are either to tie dental floss around the post beneath the knob and pull up, or (more reliable) to get a piece of cloth/heavy paper towel and a spoon.

Protect the bass surface with the cloth/paper towel, and put the spoon tip beneath the knob and the surface, with the concave side up. The spoon becomes a nice little lever. Lever up a bit, turn the knob a bit, lever up a bit, turn, lever, turn, lever, etc. The goal is to raise each part of the knob up a slight bit so it comes off without cracking.
  4. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    If they're press-on knobs and they're real snug, I'd chuck those puppies where they belong - in a drawer. I pulled a pot stem out in a Bart harness once and no more press-ons. Lot easier to play a bass without knobs than without pot stems. Put 'em back on when you sell it.