1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

removing knobs

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by airrick, Apr 16, 2006.

1. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    how would one go about removing the knobs off ones bass to remove a pickguard?

2. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    It depends on the shaft. It could be as easy as pulling it off, or if the knob is on a smooth shaft, there's a set screw you have to loosen.

3. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    how can i tell

4. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    If there is a set-screw there will be a little allen (hex) screw head on the side of the knob. Anything other than press on or set-screw would be REALLY unusual.

Dan K.

5. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    when i pull on the knobs, they dont come off, and there is no hex screw to be seen, is it possible im just not using enough force? (ps my bass is/was a squier pbass)

6. some of the knob require a gentle pry. yes the fit is quite tight. be carefull so you dont scratch the finish. i put a couple layers of maskin tape on the body around the knobs then pry.

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    It's unlikely that you have to remove the knobs to remove the pickguard... On any P Type bass the controls are mounted to the pickguard so you don't have to remove the knobs first.

As mike phillips wrote, protect a flat blade screw driver with some masking tape, slip it under the knob, pry up a bit, rotate the knob, pry a little again, etc. gently working the knob off of the pot's shaft.

8. i took the knobs off mine, you just have to pull harder than you think you need to

9. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    thanks yall, while im here, here is some pics of me and friend messing with the old pickguard:

[​IMG]

10. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    I've ruined pots in the past when removing knobs this way. Now when I come across knobs that are truly stubborn I use a special tool that keeps damages to a minimum. I've also marred pickguards to shreds by using one screwdriver and masking tape. Before I got this tool I would pry using small sheets of metal and two screwdrivers.
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Knobs/Special_tools_for:_Electronics.html
    I run a small repair shop so I use mine all the time and it's paid for itself many times over. They're about $35 so they're not cheap for a single use but if you can find one to borrow that'd be you're best bet.

11. snappytom

snappytom

Aug 17, 2005
    ChicagoLand
    Another method I have used with success is to take an old t-shirt and put the edge of the fabric under the knob, start wrapping it around a few times so it is tight, then grab the fabric above the knob into a tight ball and pull straight up.

Try it a few times and you will get the hang of it. Never leaves a mark and has always worked for me.