Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Removing logos from under the finish.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Benjamin Strange, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    So my band I'm in has a "no logos" rule, and I've been able to cover all the brand names on my amps and cabs, but I've got a Steinberger that's got a logo imbedded into the finish. I don't mind wrecking the finish to take it out, and I'd rather do that than covering it up with tape. Is there an easy way to get these things out while minimizing the damage to the finish?

2. quit the band.

wow. that's an astonishing rule. so would the guitar player sand-off the "Gibson" on his Les Paul or "Fender" off the Strat? Or do they just have cheap equipment?

I'd guess the only way is to sand it off or use some solvent to remove the finish and logo.

Here's an idea...many years ago, I was working as a waiter and the restaurant was under new management and had a new policy of no earrings for men (it was a long time ago). I wanted to wear my earring, so i simply wore a band-aid over my earlobe everytime I worked. So, put a band-aid over it, but it sounds like you might better use a generic brand so they don't make a new rule.

good luck with that.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hmmm....You could remind them that by going "no logos" they are in fact going with the "No Logo" logo. It's very popular these days with bands looking for what the biz calls "cred."

I'm not sure screwing up the bass for a band that sounds like a departure from what you normally do is the best idea. Wh not simply cover it with electrical tape? It's black, and the bass is black, ya know?

If the label is that important, I say get a Hohner, or a Spirit for cheap, and use a fork to scrape it off. I mean--if you are going to make a statement, have the statement be, "I'm a mad man!!!" :D

4. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    It's not so much a statement as the fact that they don't want to give free advertising to guys who don't give us free gear. It's a cool band and I don't want to quit.

5. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    That just sounds like a stupid & childish rule.

6. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    OK, so you think it's a dumb rule. How about making a helpful suggestion?

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Please, don't destroy the finish on your Steinies! Just go the black tape route.

8. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA

As if I hadn't ruined them already by putting Moses necks and Rio Grande pickups in them. :p

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yeah, but that's not the *finish*!

10. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    OKay, this might be crazy, but why don't you get some fuzzy fabric, or something, and make a "costume" for the bass. Shouldn't be too hard considering the shape.

Wait--these aren't the boat paddle Steinies, are they?

Hmmm....that's not going to work.

If you can remove enough of the clearcoat, you can color in just the letters, and then cover it with superglue and sand it smooth to match the rest of the finish. I've done a superglue repair on a chipped clearcoat and it worked fine. You could barely see it after it was buffed out.

11. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    There we go! That's what I'm talking about; an actual suggestion.

It's the XM bass, by the way. No paddles for me.

12. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I agree with heavy. Maybe a tasteful sticker or something.

13. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    How about this one?

[​IMG]

14. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    [​IMG]

15. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Ben, you know what you have to do.

16. One of the acrylic paint pens will be able to cover the logo with the acrylic latex paint as nearly permanently as possible. Then, if you want to take it off, just use a razor blade and some soapy water to remove.

OR

Get some inkjet decal paper, make a BLACK decal (I assume the background is black) and put a thin water slide decal OVER the logo. Then a quick shot of clear will keep it on. If you want it off, a wipe with some lacquer thinner will remove it.

17. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hammy--you're like Mighty Mouse. You just swooped in and saved the day. :hyper:

18. Wasn't there a lady mouse involved somehow? Where's she? :meh:

19. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    when I did some mods on my buddies basses, and they wanted a new headstock decal put on i would use steel wool to take it off the old one,it does'nt do to much damage and its easy to control the amount of sanding being done,and pretty much only takes of the finish without going to deep into paint or wood.
    I must say I am quite blown away by the no label thing,is'nt there more important things to worry about pertaining to the band than "ADVERTISING" a brand name ?,do you do the same with all your shoes,clothes,cars,hats,ETC...?
    If you want to make a statement, practice your A$$ off and become the best bassist you can be,then you will send a message,thats only my opinion,its your bass to ruin,and hopefully you will realize there are way more important things to worry about than a logo on your eqpt.
    LEARN TO PICK YOUR BATTLES :bassist:
    good luck with the band :bag:

20. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I did pick my battles quite well here, methinks. I'm proud of the gear I use, but I wasn't going to make a stink about it when it's such a small deal anyway. A little black tape, possibly a little sanding, and no arguements.

I think I'm just going to stick with the tape for now. We'll see if I keep pushing it off the bass or not.