Removing magnets from the back of Fender J Deluxe PUPs

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Floyd The Muppet, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Floyd The Muppet

Floyd The Muppet

Jul 24, 2014
    Hi Guys,
    Here's the situation- I recently shielded my Mexican Jazz Bass Deluxe circa 2009. The shielding job went great thanks to MikeCD's advice at this link

http://www.talkbass.com/threads/american-deluxe-jazz-pbass-ground-hum-noise-problem-solved.802153/

BUT... there's always a but... I want to ground the pole pieces just to finish the job. I know how to do this, but there are large bar magnets on the bottom of the pickup so I cant get to the pole pieces to lay copper tape and connect to the ground.
    The magnets seem to be glued on pretty well.
    Does anyone out there in TB land have any ideas on how to remove the magnets without damaging the pickup or the magnet?
    At the moment I'm failing with acetone but the room smells good.:woot:

Thanks.

2. The usual fix is to just coat the tops of the poles with clear nailpolish, as an insulator. Have you tried doing that first?

3. Floyd The Muppet

Floyd The Muppet

Jul 24, 2014
    Brilliant!
    I really likes the idea of grounding those pole pieces properly- but that has proved harder than I thought. I'm off to raid my daughter's nail polish collection. Thanks for the simple solution. I have a really big gig for me in a fortnight and I really didn't want to play dum dum dum buuuzzzzzzzzzzz!
    Thanks Line6man

4. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

+1
    Certain Precision pickups are notorious for this as well. I take the covers off, apply a couple coats of clear nail polish and it always does the trick. Oddly enough, the Fralin single coils in my jazz don't have this issue.

Tip: make sure you shake the nail polish vigorously before application. It will make it thinner and easier to apply. My wife taught me that;)

5. Troph

Troph

Apr 14, 2011
    Kirkland, WA
    Not all pole pieces are conductive. The key property is magnetic permeability. It just so happens that AlNiCo pole pieces are almost always electrically conductive, but ceramic magnet-based pickups don't need to have conductive pole pieces. I would test that first before bothering with insulating them.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  6. Well obviously they are conductive if there is a noise issue that would have necessitated grounding.

7. Troph

Troph

Apr 14, 2011
    Kirkland, WA
    The OP states: "I want to ground the pole pieces just to finish the job." That doesn't necessarily imply that there was a noise issue from the pole pieces; it could just mean that this was on the list for "thoroughness" of the shielding job. I realize what I'm pointing out is obvious, but sometimes the obvious needs to be stated. :)

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021