Removing maxed out truss rod nut?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Pufedu, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Pufedu

Pufedu

Jul 9, 2019
    Finland
    So, my truss rod nut is maxed out on my Classic 60's Fender Jazz Bass. The neck is still a bit bowed, and would need some washers + lubrication (I'm planning on using vaseline) to function properly. I have never done this operation before, so I have one question:

Is it ok to remove the neck, and the truss rod nut without having the neck clamped to a slight backbow? What I've understood is that the neck should be clamped when I reinstall the nut with washers, but is it ok to leave the neck unclamped without the truss rod nut. The reason I'm asking this is because I would need to take the truss rod nut with me to a hardware store so I can pick up the correct sized washers.

Zooberwerx likes this.
  2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yes, you'll be fine. The washer size should be 5m..."trust but verify". Once re-installed with the washers & lube in place, manually flex the neck in a backbow while increasing tension on the TR.

Riis

96tbird likes this.
  3. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Check out StewMac videos on youtube and their website.

4. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    You will be fine but I wouldn't use Vaseline. It will attract dirt. A dot of trial-flow or graphite lube like is used for locks is all you need.

96tbird likes this.
  5. Pufedu

Pufedu

Jul 9, 2019
    Finland
    How would you recommend me to "manually" flex the neck while screwing in the TR nut?

6. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Put the neck back on the body. Put the body on the floor with the neck between you knees. Flex the head back and tighten the nut.

Zooberwerx likes this.
  7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    @96tbird beat me to it. Get the TR nut and washers started then bolt the neck back on the bass. Once the TR nut hits some resistance, hold the bass between your knees and grab the neck (left hand) just below the nut and flex backwards while continuing to tighten the nut. If done correctly, the neck should have some back-bow without string tension. Re-install the strings and tune to pitch. There's a good chance we'll over-shoot the target...you may have to relax / loosen the TR nut to introduce the proper relief.

Edit: I use a scant amount of lithium grease and graphite powder.

Riis

96tbird and RSBBass like this.
  8. Pufedu

Pufedu

Jul 9, 2019
    Finland
    There's one problem, the adjustment is at the heel, so the neck kind of needs to come off.. :/

9. duncmill

duncmill

Jan 27, 2011
    If it was mine I would pull the pickguard and carve a small,half moon shaped recess in the body and a matching notch in the pickguard and get rid of that issue forever. My old Pbass hasn't had a pickguard in a long time and the truss rod nut is easily accessible.

RSBBass likes this.
  10. Pufedu

Pufedu

Jul 9, 2019
    Finland
    I thought about that too. I guess the easiest way would be to buy a 10 dollar clamp from the local hardware store and use it to backbow the neck.