1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Removing mounting inserts for a three-lug Gibson bridge

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bassgod76, Jan 21, 2018.

1. bassgod76

bassgod76 bass turd burglar

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    Anyone have an idea on how to remove these metal inserts?
    9D02036F-DFBF-4127-AFDE-6BB9EC9F7C3D.

2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    I've always done it by making a caul to go over top and pry them up with the bolts. Basically, just a sturdy, thick piece of wood, like 3/4" maple with a hole in it that you can get the bolt into, then pry it up from the top, hopefully pulling out the whole insert without damaging surrounding wood. Because that's been so recessed deeply into the top, you might need to source a longer bolt to get the surface above the protective board. I hope that makes sense? :)

3. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    So those inserts are pressed in, not threaded?

4. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Unless they interfered with the screw pattern of the replacement bridge, I’d leave them there.

5. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    All of the ones I've removed have been press-fit rather than threaded in... :)

6. If they're pressed in, and they probably are, I find a bolt that threads in and is long enough to stick out of the body an inch or two. Then get a short piece of tubing (I usually use 3/4" PVC but it depends on the size of the insert). Put some washers on the bolt that will hold it on the PVC tubing, set the bolt through the tubing and thread it into the insert. Keep turning the bolt and it will slowly pull the insert out of the body.

You may have to adapt a little as the area where the bridge was appears to be countersunk. Also, it may help to heat the insert up a bit with a soldering iron, especially if they have been glued in.

I can take some pictures tomorrow if I haven't explained that clearly enough.

reverendrally likes this.
  7. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Yes, like Matt said, they are pressed straight in. They are not threaded on the outside. They pull out easily with a bolt and some spacers. If my memory is correct, the thread is 1/4-28, but you'll have to check.

Over on this thread, down on post #5, I show this procedure pulling out a stubborn truss rod anchor:
    Replacing The Truss Rod In A Skunk Stripe MusicMan Neck

Find a bolt that fits the threads and sticks up above the surface some amount. Put a big washer under the head. Thread it in until it bottoms out, then back it up about 1/8". Stack up some blocks of wood or other things on either side of the bolt, under the washer. Tighten the bolt, which will pull the insert up 1/8". Loosen the bolt 1/8", add 1/8" to the stacks. Repeat, repeat, until it pops out.

The inserts should come out undamaged, and can be cleaned up and reused.

reverendrally likes this.
  8. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    I have the bridge mounting bolts. I will use one of those

9. John Trials

John Trials

Apr 16, 2016
    CT
    I just started disassembling an Epiphone Les Paul yesterday, and was wondering how to remove the bridge inserts, too. Thanks to everyone with the info. Mine pulled out with very little force. I used a few large washers (the one touching the guitar was covered with layers of masking tape to prevent marring the body). I stacked a few smaller diameter washers on the large ones, and used the bridge stud as the puller. There was no glue, just simply pressed-in nuts.

10. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    I've had good luck by simply dropping a bolt, head first, down the hole in the middle of the insert. I then simply screw the bridge mount back down into the hole. The mount comes into contact with the bolt and, as you continue to screw, pushes down into the bolt itself. This slowly lifts the insert out of the hole.

This worked a charm on my Jack Casady bass and on a Vantage ES-355 copy as well.

11. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    A pry bar, sheet of MDF, and very little force, and they slid out.
    Thanks guys!
    EA9F030A-628E-48B5-A021-8776895B1A1D.

12. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Boom done... :)

13. I was hoping it might involve something might catch on fire. Mmmm... burning... :cool:

14. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Well, you could drop a pinch of gunpowder down in the hole, then a primer, thread in the bolt, and tap on the head of the bolt with a hammer.......

Here I'll show you....Hold my beer....

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018

15. Oooorrrr... you could loosen glued in bushings by filling them full of Naptha and lighting it. That should melt the glue.:smug:

Here, I’ll show you... hold Bruce’s beer.

16. Where are the youtube links? I can't see the videos... :sour:

17. Pocket4

Pocket4 Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2013
    New Hampshire
    A little off topic, but glad to see this thread. I am removing the 3 point bridge, and one of the threaded bolts just came seized to a stop halfway through unscrewing. I am clueless about this bridge. Started damaging the slot. What's going on?

18. Pocket4

Pocket4 Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2013
    New Hampshire
    I think I twisted the right side bolt while un screwing the left, not realizing there was a raising and tilting going on with this bridge.