Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

removing my current frets

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by smooth, Nov 22, 2001.

1. smooth

smooth

Nov 22, 2001
    jax fl
    i was thinking about removing the frets out of my fender jazz . i know its a straight up rip up off jaco but hey it worked for him . anyone have any ideas on the best way to do it ?

2. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Do a search. This has been on the boards endlessly forever in minute detail with web sites and all.

3. Welcome to talkbass Smooth,

Bizarro is right - this is probably the most asked question we bet here in setup. In fact, if you'll look at the entries that are on the top of the forum right now, you'll find a topic that talks about this very thing, and in that topic, you'll find a link to a very definitive website devoted to defretting.

But for future reference, please do searches for your particular topic before asking. You will likely find more info than your question will uncover directly.

4. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Smooth,
    Yes, welcome to T B. And I don't mean to put you off, especially as a new member. It is just that questions that have been worked again and again will not get the response they deserve as members tire of the same old stuff. It is certainly not as much fun as running a post and getting feedback, but that is where you will find a plethera of input on this very subject.(defreting) Then if you still have questions more specific I am sure someone will help out. I recently defreted my first bass so if you decide to go ahead with it I will be happy to share my experience when you are getting down to it.