Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

removing neck finish ??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by cubeenz, Aug 7, 2001.

1. I have a Squier Precision (I'm not spending any money till I get my StingRay) and wanted to know about sanding the back of the neck. I love the feel of the MusicMan necks, wax finished, very fast. My bass has a satin finish and is kind of sticky when you're sweaty or have been playing a while. Many people have said they had good luck sanding the neck. I was wondering what would be the best way to do this. Should I use sandpaper, or would a fine steel wool work better (seems like it would). Just write back any opinions on this please. Thanks.

2. steinbergerxp2

steinbergerxp2 Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    0000 Steel Wool and patience; it will allow you maximum control.

3. Here's how I do it...

Using a Scotchbrite pad, put a little Naptha on the pad and make long strokes up and down the neck. The Scotchbrite gives a nice satin feel while the Naptha breaks any gunk up. It evaporates very, very quickly so there's no chance of damage. Keep going until it feels right or you hit oil!

Try to stay away from the steel wool while you have pups in the body. The magnets really attract the iron dust and debris from these things and it's damn near impossible to remove.