Removing Neck Lacquer

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Big Cadillac, May 30, 2005.

1. I have a 75' RI Jazz MIJ which is my project bass. Dings here and there, well used. It has an ash body and maple neck/fretboard. I like the feel of an unfinished neck. Anybody have any experience as to what the best way would be to remove lacquer from the back of the neck in order to get that satin feel? Should I do anything afterwards to preserve the finish?
  2. The finish on you neck isn't lacquer, it's polyurethane. Unfortunately there's no solvent for that so it's sandpaper for you! I would start with 150 grit and work up. The 150 is aggressive enough to get it off without roughing up the maple too much. Then you can work your way up to about 400 for a smooth finish.
  3. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    I took the finish off the back of the neck of my '80 StingRay with 3M Safest Stripper (or something like that). Followed up with progressively finer sandpaper all the way to 800 grit. Finished with a rub-down of fine steel wool and wiped a little mineral oil on then off to help seal it. Felt like a baby's behind.
  4. Thanks for the recommendations. Sounds like it'll be sandpaper and steel wool.
  5. Sadowsky finishes the back of his necks with 200 grit sandpaper.
  6. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Hm, I'm gonna try this with my SX...Fast neck here we come!

No more stickiness...