Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

removing nut?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by clef360, Sep 28, 2003.

1. i was trying to remov ethe nut on my project bass and found out that it was harder than it looks...can anyone tell me how i can remove my nut without damaging my bass?

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    If you do not want to save the nut you're removing...

...You can get a saw with a fairly narrow blade, and cut a "channel" length-wise and almost to the bottom of the nut. Then, with some pliers (or similar tool) squeeze the channel (that you just cut) together, and the nut should break free and pop right out.

I have done this before, and it is much more simple than I can type it here.

I hope this makes sense :) .

3. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I use the thin blade of my pocket knife. It saves most nuts, but some really tough glued ones will break. Oh well, nuts are fairly cheap ;)

4. Gander

Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Texas
    Hi Clef, It's a good idea to cut around the nut with a razor knife(cut through the finish) before you try to remove it. That way, when the nut comes free it won't take a chunk of wood with it. Also, when you install the new one use a glue that will release (not super glue). Good luck.