removing Oxidation from pick ups

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ojthesimpson, Jan 17, 2005.

1. ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    I just got a bass with some mild Oxidation on the pickups
    how would I go about removing this practically?
    I love you guys
  2. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    No, no, no, no, no! Not steel wool, not ever! Remember, there are magnets in there and the little steel shavings WILL adhere and you will NEVER clean it all out.

I've had some luck with pencil erasers.

Mostly, if it doesn't affect the tone, and it shouldn't, I'd say don't even bother.

If you do get some off (and again, do NOT use steel wool or anything that a magnet would love), you can rub a LITTLE machine oil on the top of the poles and cut down on the possibility of a reoccurance.
  3. jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    There is metal polish, Flitz?, that does this pretty well but try to keep it out of crevis' that you can never get clean again.
  4. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    Have you tried 3M Scotch Brite.

I use it at work for polishing out work and removing oxidisation. It will leave a fine green dust behind, but i don't think its magnetic.

Once you've done this you will want to coat the tips with something again otherwise it will just go rusty again soon.
  5. Just leave it.

If you MUST get it off, just polish it with a nylon scour pad and some elbow grease. Apply the SMALLEST amount of machine oil using your fingertip (just enough to make it "wet", not enough to puddle).

NO STEEL WOOL! Never use steel wool on pickups or anything electronic.
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    True... NO STEEL WOOL :bag:
  7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Brass wool is OK to use, but Scotchbrite pads are better, IMO.

Moved to Setup.