1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Removing paint from a pick guard... how???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KenToby, Jun 12, 2011.

1. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    I bought a vintage Fender Precision that some clown painted the tortise shell pickguard. Any ideas how I might remove the paint without damaging the pickguard underneath??

Thanks,

KT

2. jordak

jordak

Apr 7, 2011
    Queens, NY
  3. Get some spray foam oven cleaner. It needs to be the kind that works without heat. Spray it on, wait a while and the paint should wipe right off. Do a second treatment if needed.

It works great for me, and doesn't scratch the plastic.

4. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

That's a tricky situation. It depends on what type of paint was used - water base, enamel, laquer? Paint thinners will dull the finish of the plastic and water base paint can't even be broken down with anything as far as I know.

+1 to just buying a new pickguard.

5. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

Wow - I did not know that. Good call!

6. jordak

jordak

Apr 7, 2011
    Queens, NY
    +1 worth a try but be aware that if it was painted with something weird it might not come off clean.

7. I was skeptical at first, but it really works.

I also tried it on a spray painted hard shell bass case, but wasn't as effective. I think because a pickguard is so smooth, but the case has a texture.

I hate it when people stencil their band name on the case... It managed to fade the paint out quite a bit, though. Not sure if/how it would work on Tolex.

8. That's a good tip. Wouldn't have thought to try that. I would've went straight to ebay or Allparts for a new pg.

9. Pupiit

Pupiit

Jun 5, 2010
    GA
    My stepdad (who is a professional artist) says that Pine-Sol is a good paint stripper. Just regular, full strength Pine-Sol.

10. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    So I dont want to risk doing anything that would damage it. That oven cleaner trick sounds slick though.

Keep the ideas coming!!

Thanks, KT

11. There's a video on Youtube regarding modding a Hofner Icon to make it look like a non Icon. One of the mods was to use Brasso (brass polish) on the truss rod cover. Apparently an application and a wipe down with a micro fibre cloth took the printed/painted text right off while leaving the truss rod cover clean and somewhat polished. As always, your mileage may vary.

12. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    I've actually had this exact problem with an old Fender tortoise pickguard a previous owner had first painted white and then black! I had great success in restoring it.

I bought "rubbing compound" at an automotive parts place, and used a LOT of elbow grease. keep working, and you can get all the paint off.

Then you use a final "polishing" compound that will remove fine sctaches to get the final product.

I'm attaching a couple of pics.

Good luck!