1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Removing price after sale is complete

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by GtenderG, Sep 29, 2018.

1. GtenderG

GtenderG

Feb 29, 2008
    I was try to determine market price for a few items i plan on selling and a search of the classifieds turned up a bunch of threads where the seller removed the price after the sale.
    Its not something that everyone does but I'm curious as to the reason why somebody would do that.

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    This is a standard practice in many fields. Try search the price/value of collectible antiques.

3. nolezmaj

nolezmaj

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    Some people are sensitive on sharing how much they bought/sold something for.
    I did this couple of times also, when I overpaid something I really wanted, because I didn't want comments to bring me down.

saabfender likes this.
  4. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Fair Market Value Is Fair Market Value! Sounds like double talk, but prices paid must stay researchable so they will be fair. If you are stupid and pay too much the world should know. If you are very wealthy and desire a bass and pay plenty in order to get it, the rest of the world deserves to know. Just look at Barrett-Jackson auctions. This is the free market in action. Don't complain. Embrace.

5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i did. is there a long line?

saabfender and Jeff Scott like this.
  6. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I'm pretty sure there is, but you're not alone. 'The truth is out there.' ~ The X-Files

JRA likes this.
  7. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    As a group it helps us all as pricing can be all over the map for the exact same thing and it keeps the new guys from being hurt.
    It should also help to keep pricing realisitic but not always.
    I see items listed at nearly what they cost new and with no warranty.
    Understood about long lead time and special items but makes no sense for stuff availabel at the store.

If you had to pay for ads, I bet things would become more real.
    How about the add costs X; if it sells in 3 weeks no charge.

Pay too much?
    Impossible, it just shows you wanted it more than I.

Years ago, there was an article written that claimed 80% of the US wants a deal and would like to see the seller take a hit, when he/she sold to them.

I need my contractors, gas station, car dealership, etc. to make a profit so we can continue to work together.