1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Removing Shielding Paint Spillover

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by sawzalot, Jun 27, 2012.

1. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    I just bought one of the factory 2nd Jazz bodies from Allparts, knowing that it would come with some issues but they were so cheap I couldn't resist. The body I got isn't in too bad shape, but when they shielded the bridge pickup rout they spilled some of the shielding paint over onto the face of the body. I was hoping to do an oil finish on the bass, but with the shielding paint on the body obviously that's in question now.

So my question is, how do you remove that sheilding paint, or is it even possible once it's dry? Should I be thinking about a painted finish instead? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

2. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    What wood species is your body made from?

If it's a ring-porous species, like ash, the shielding paint may have penetrated into the open pores, which can sometime require quite a bit of wood to be planed, scraped, or sanded away in order to remove all traces of the spilled paint.

On the other hand, woods like maple and basswood have no observable pores, and the stain is likely to be superficial and easily removed.

Any chance you could post a photo?

3. sawzalot

Oct 18, 2007
    It's ash, and it has definitely gotten into the pores. I'll try to post a photo later today when I get back home.

I tried a little goof-off on it last night, which worked to some degree. It took it off but tends to smear it around. It didn't make things worse but highlighted that it's not going to come off easily and that it's into the pores. I'm starting to look at solid colors now....which is fine, the description at allparts said these bodies were fine for solid colors, and they're right...

Tom

4. sawzalot

Oct 18, 2007
    Took my extended-length sanding block with some #180 sandpaper to it today and it took off the overspill without any trouble. Whew. But, under the lights in my shop I could see that the dings/etc that need to be filled won't look good with an oil finish, so the bass is going to be Olympic White.

Tom

5. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Glad you were able to remove the contamination. Good luck with your project. :)