1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

removing silks?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by unclebass, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Has anyone here ever successfully removed silks from their strings? Is it possible without messing up the strings? I know that some strings come without silks, wondering if they are absolutely necessary? I have a set of roto77s that I might use, but prefer the look of a silkless string.

2. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    If the manufacturer puts silks on, I leave them on. I don't care what they look like.

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    +1 but I'm a fraidy cat :)

4. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Ernie Ball strings: silkless. Sure there are others. Don't bother removing existing silk, that's a waste of effort. Now the D'Addario color-coded ball ends...urg! (just kidding, I use chromes all the time...)

5. Ian_Flash

Ian_Flash

Jan 17, 2013
    It IS possible to remove the silks from SOME brands, it will not mess up the string. Just be careful, as some brands wind the silk at the top of the string UNDER one of the wind layers. DO NOT loosen the winds, just cut the silk using a fresh razor blade, some alcohol for the strings and some for your glass!

6. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I moved a set of roto 66’s from one bass to another a few times and silk came off the a string and the it started unraveling.

7. gard0300

gard0300 Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Vandalia, Ohio
    Not recommending this but I had some silks fraying out on me. So I grabbed the nearest lighter and the flamed up pretty quick. I'm sure this isn't very safe not to mention possible temper issues. But I thought I'd pass it along.