1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Removing smoked chrome?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by trekker, Apr 20, 2009.

1. trekker

trekker

Apr 24, 2008
    Fort Worth Texas
    Hi all. I recently purchased an Ibby SR400 made in Korea in 2002 and, all in all, it's in good shape. BUT...the smoked chrome hardware is showing signs of what I would call corrosion or mottling. I took some Windex to it and it made no difference. Then I took some Brasso to it and it seems to actually remove the smoked effect, leaving only chrome underneath. This is fine by me, regular chrome looks good. But it takes a LONG TIME to remove this smoked effect with Brasso. So here's my question:

Has anyone here tried removing this smoked effect with anything else that works good, leaving just a polished chrome look afterward?

Thanks.

trekker

2. mkrtu9

mkrtu9 Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    I've been searching on here the last few days looking for suggestions on a replacement bridge for my sr655. (since I hate gold and want either 505 or black hardware). I came across a thread that suggested to use brasso to remove the smoked effect, however I didn't see anything else. So it would seem you may be stuck with the brasso. I don't understand why people don't like that smoked color cause I like it much better than gold. To each their own I guess.

good luck scrubbing.

3. trekker

trekker

Apr 24, 2008
    Fort Worth Texas
    I DO like the smoked color...but it is corroding or becoming mottled on this 2002 bass. Just natural aging, I guess. But while there are not layers of it coming off, the color of it is changing and it looks uneven.

4. xsubs

xsubs Working Class Hero Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2007
    NYC & Corcaigh, √Čire
    Endorsing Artist: Hiwatt Amplification & Rotosound Strings
    Try some Simichrome on it. It should make the job go faster than the Brasso, but will not scratch the piece.