1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Removing Solder

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by primedynasty, Sep 17, 2008.

1. What are some preferred methods? I need to get the solder off my volume pot and clean up the terminals, what would you guys recommend? desolder braid? sucker? and which one do you use/where did you get it? Thanks!

2. EddieN

EddieN

Mar 21, 2007
    Braid. Radio Shack.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Both work. Sometimes the best way to get a solder sucker to work is to add more solder first, then remove it all.

4. +1 Got to have a solder sucker if you do a lot of soldering.

solderSucker.

5. prokfrog

prokfrog

Mar 16, 2007
    new jersey
    Solder suckers are mainly designed for removing components off of PC boards.

You will get better results with a solder wick (braid)

6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Braid

7. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    I have a desoldering iron at work I use.

it has a vaccum and a little hole at the end of the iron.

I think you can guess what happens. it works really well.

braid is the most annoying way of doing it. takes so long and you never get a good clean outcome.

8. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    +1 If you're doing production work a sucker is the deal. But if you're just fixing your own rig? Get some Wick.

9. looks like i am stopping by radioshack on the way home tonight

10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Be sure to tell us what type of cell phone they talk you into buying... ;)

11. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Sep 8, 2008
    Bloomingdale,IL
    I have worked in the electronics field and I have to say that from my experience, sucker is the way to go.

12. i ended up getting both just to see which worked better. For getting the solder off the pot casing the solder wick was much better, there was just too much solder for the sucker to do anything

13. prokfrog

prokfrog

Mar 16, 2007
    new jersey
    the right tool for the right job

14. The sucker works great. Just tip the iron with a big glob of solder, then the existing solder will melt ridiculously fast and form a pool of hot-ass metal, then all you gotta do is suck it all up (with the sucker of course). Most of the time you'll get the whole lot in one suck, but sometimes you have to do an extra suck.

That's a lot of suck.