1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Removing Speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by huskies90, Apr 22, 2006.

1. huskies90

huskies90

May 17, 2004
    Has anyone removed the speakers from a cab? I have an Eden 210XLT and I want to take out and test each speaker individually. I have taken off the grill, unscrewed the speakers and pulled them out. What is the correct way to disconnect them? TIA!!

2. Not being a dick here, but if you have to ask how to remove one, how do you know how to test it?

What are you looking for?

Remove the front grille
    Lay the cab down on its back (this is important)
    Place a bath towel over the speaker cone
    Remove the mounting bolts
    Remove the towel
    Lift out the driver remember it still has wires attached.
    Write down which color wire goes to which terminal.
    If the terminals are push-on, then pull-off
    If the terminals are solder-on, ask yourself why you are doing this in the first place.

The reason for the towel is so you don't trash the dome of your speaker by dropping a wrench on it.

3. huskies90

huskies90

May 17, 2004
    No problem. My plan for "testing" it was to disconnect each speaker individually and then play the remaining connected one. I am trying to find if one of them is bad and I can't tell with both booming. I am getting a very slight distortion and I found a small crease on the back of the inner cone of one of the speakers. Obviously, I'll disconnect that one first. And assuming the other sounds OK, which I suspect it will, I will just replace it.

I got everything right up to the last line. They are push ons but they are very tight and I can't pull them off. They appear to be "crimped" on(?). I was nervous about pulling them off.