Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Removing Stain/ Wood Bleach?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by RichValentine, Aug 13, 2005.

1. I recently purchased a fretless from a friend, however he decided to do a custom "homemade" finish on it.

[​IMG]

I am after a natural bass though. I have sanded it back quite a lot, yet there it is still stained slightly pink.

From his description it was finished like this:
    "
    dulux red paint (i know heh he) thinned with cellulose paint thinner, brushed and cloth rubbed- 20 mins drying- body was bright pink at this stage

shellac button polish, brushed- 20 mins drying, lovely orangey colour
    "

I am wondering if wood bleach would take it back to it's natural colour or if I should try anything else.

It looked beautiful before he finished it and am trying to get it back to that.

[​IMG]

Any advice at all is appreciated.

Rich V.

2. Anyone? I can post a picture if needed.

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I know there is such a thing as wood bleach. If I remember correctly, it is oxalic acid.

I've never used it though, so I can't say how much affect it will have on the pink colorant versus the light wood versus the dark growth ring bands.

4. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Do not bleech! It will ruin the wood cells.

What kind of wood is it? It may be that the wood has a tendency to pinkish, all of itself. In that case, you can work on it for ever. And this is very probable, too! You would normally, on hardwood, only need to sand a few mirometers to remove just about all the stain.

5. Found out the person on the other side of my garden is a cabinet maker and has a huge workshop in his double garage. Also he's an amazing trumpet player with his own local jazz band, so I can even talk music with him while asking for advice :D

edit: It's maple by the way.

6. vintager

vintager

Jan 29, 2005
    Slovakia
    off topic maybe, but both pieces of wood are gorgeous.. i'd love to see how it ended up

7. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    [​IMG]